Fill Me In Please!!

Decorating By pickles777 Updated 5 Feb 2007 , 2:34pm by pickles777

pickles777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pickles777 Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 10:00pm
post #1 of 10

Ok, i may sound like an idiot..but hey i need help. I want to practice a tiered cake. For instance, a 6', 8' and 10'. So how exactly do you go about doing this. Do most people have only 1 pan of each size like i do? Do you fill the 6' and 8' and bake those. then when done do that again and the bake 2 10' separate because both probably won't fit in the oven? seems like a long time of baking. So if anyone does anythin easier and faster...what is it? thanks and sorry if i sound silly!!!

9 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 10

Either you do it the way you stated, 2 of each size or you can collar the pans and do one 3" thick layer... if you only have one pan, it does take more time.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 10

For me I have two pans of same size. It easier have to two 6", etc. You can bake 6 and 8 at the same time put check the 6" after 20 minutes so you do not over bake.

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 10:06pm
post #4 of 10

Hi pickles777,

When I first started out, I had one of each size...but quickly learned it was not very efficient, so I splurged and bought duplicates! icon_wink.gif

You should be able to fit 2 10" round pans in the oven at the same time...maybe not side by side so to speak, but a little catty corner, if you know what I mean.

When it was time for us to buy a new oven, my DH went to a little nicer one and bought me a convection oven (didn't even tell me!) so I would be able to bake a few at one time. (I think I'll keep him.... thumbs_up.gif )

Be on the lookout for 50% off Hobby Lobby or Michael's, then go out and buy a few more pans. You'll be soooo glad you did!!!

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 10

Wait, now I am confused icon_cry.gif I have never stacked a cake either. When you want to stack a 6 8 10 don't you just bake one of each, torte and then stack? Wow making 2 of each then stacking would make a huge cake right? I am so confused about anything but the basics icon_sad.gif Help

MISSYCOMPOC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MISSYCOMPOC Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 10

I have 3 inch pans and I fill one of each up. Then when I torte I have 3 layers for each size. I'm a rookie though - bake for friends and family. But it seems to work ok for us.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 3:45pm
post #7 of 10

Most tier cakes are 4" high so you need 2 layers for each tier, each 2" high. If you have a 3" pan you can do that height too, you could do a 2" high tier as well if you wanted but the sides wouldn't be as tall.
There aren't any hard and fast rules but the general guide about a layer cake is to have plenty of room to decorate the sides you should make the cake 4".
If you want the higher sides why don't you start with a 6" & 8" tier cake, it won't be quite so much cake.
If you're looking at serving charts they are normally for a 2 layer cake 4" tall.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 10:07pm
post #8 of 10

bake a 10x3 8x3 and 6x3 and tort each x2. That should be more than enough for practise. You don't want double layers of 10,8 and 6 around unless you've got about 100 people to feed cake to! icon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 10:24pm
post #9 of 10

Either way, with 2-2" layers, or torting 1-3" layer, after you fill and frost, you will have about 4" of finished cake.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

pickles777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pickles777 Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 2:34pm
post #10 of 10

thanks for all the feed back everyone...it really helped me!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%