Transporting 3.5 Hrs...decorate Or No?

Decorating By treeg Updated 15 Oct 2005 , 1:25pm by Mac

treeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
treeg Posted 14 Oct 2005 , 12:48pm
post #1 of 4

I'll be taking two 12" cakes (separate) to the party location 3.5 hrs away next weekend.

I can't decide whether to go ahead and put my fondant leaves (I'm the one doing the fall leaves on cakes for a reception/yay we got married party), or should I wait until we get to the party? My plan is for a number of dried fondant leaves sort of scattered on the cake with maybe a border in the same caramel-colored icing as the iced cake...nothing fancy and certainly nothing difficult. I'll bring my "ut oh" case, of course, but should I even bother decorating before hand? I figure I'll make several extra leaves (my kids are begging for them anyway).

Transportation will be on the floor of my mother's van...so they will be flat, on top of those nubby-shelf liner stuffs to keep them from sliding around in the box...should be perfectly safe.

Whacha think? Anyone ever transported cakes that far? I need to do my baking, decorating timeline today.

Thanks!!

3 replies
farrah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farrah Posted 14 Oct 2005 , 1:02pm
post #2 of 4

I think they would be fine if you do decorate...especially if you are using the no skid liners. I have traveled around that much time before with 2 large sheet cakes and they were fine. If you are worried just do it on site whatever is easier and less stress is the way to go icon_smile.gif

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 14 Oct 2005 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 4

Seems like the cake will absorb a lot of the shock from the road so the leaves would be less likely to break on the cake than if they were bouncing around in a box in the car. Dunno for sure though. Worst that is likely to happen is one or two will fall off, and that's easy to fix.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 15 Oct 2005 , 1:25pm
post #4 of 4

I have a piece of foam that I bought at the fabric store and I put my cakes on thoseTO help absorb some of the bumps. Works well but I would still wait until I got on site, just to be on the safe side. I have a wedding in November that will be 1.5 hours away, I will go early and decorate on site. Call me a bit of a ham but I like people to watch (oops, does that sound bad???).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%