Silicone Bakeware

Decorating By dandelion Updated 14 Oct 2005 , 3:13am by dandelion

dandelion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion Posted 13 Oct 2005 , 4:18am
post #1 of 5

I recently bought a piece of silicone bakeware--a mini muffin pan. Been hearing a lot of advertising and it was on sale, so I though I might as well try it.
So many problems! icon_cry.gif First, it smelled funny when it baked and it even set of the fire alarm! icon_eek.gif Also, it warped, even though I'm pretty sure I had it positioned stably in its sled. And it was REALLY hard to clean! I scrubed it for a full 10 minutes and there were still stubborn bits stuck to it. icon_cry.gif

Why was this so difficult for me??? What am I doing wrong?

4 replies
alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 13 Oct 2005 , 5:17am
post #2 of 5

On the smell - did you wash it first?

On everything - is it a national brand or an off brand? I bought one at a thrift store, I have no idea what brand it was, and it was awful. It didn't smell or warp, but everthing stuck like crazy.

It had a shiny surface, not a matte finish, don't know if that made a difference.

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 13 Oct 2005 , 12:44pm
post #3 of 5

I have a muffin pan and I love it!! I can't think what brand it is but it didn't smell and things don't stick to it either. I know I bought it a kitchen store and was thinking I would like to buy some other pieces. Now I'm not sure after you guys had such a bad experience.

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 13 Oct 2005 , 12:58pm
post #4 of 5

I have a set with a muffin, bundt, and loaf pan. I have made beautiful corn muffins several times. No spray and they just pop right out when you turn it over. However, I tried a cake in there with no spray and it stuck very badly. That was the first cake I stored to use later as cake balls! I'm sure my set is not a brand name. I got it last year after Christmas when I went looking for clearance decorations. It was like $5.00 at WalMart! They have Baker's Secret brand now and they are about $30.00 for the set.

dandelion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion Posted 14 Oct 2005 , 3:13am
post #5 of 5

The brand is KitchenAid and I did wash it before using it.
The sticking might have been because I didn't grease the pan?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%