Calling All Flower People At Cc!!

Decorating By knoxcop1 Updated 26 Feb 2007 , 11:43pm by RisqueBusiness

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 29

Hey, Y'all! icon_smile.gif

Ok. I just finished my flower classes, and I didn't do so well. In fact, I bite. Seriously.

I've been asked to make the cake in this picture for a wedding the first weekend of May. The bride wants the cake to look as close as possible to this picture. The butterflies for me are no problem. HOWEVER: The flowers? Yeah...With those I need a rescue!

Would anyone here at CC be able to duplicate these flowers for me and ship them? You could PM me and we could go from there.

Here's the pic.

Thanks,
--Knox--
LL

28 replies
Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 29

that is a beautifull cake!!!

Im def saving it for future ref!

knoxcop1 Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 29

It is beautiful. I'm not sure who the cake artist is, however.

The bride just sent me the pic and said, "Do this."

Anyone out there who can make these? I'll gladly pay your asking price plus shipping!

Thanks,
--Knox--

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 29

I can do those, but unfortunately they always break when I ship. I know Cal Java and quite a few other suppliers sell premade gumpaste roses, very inexpensive and ship without breakage. You might have to color some, but that wouldn't be a problem. I love this cake, the style looks familar.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 6:55pm
post #5 of 29

its a pity Im so far away, I love making roses icon_biggrin.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 6:56pm
post #6 of 29

lol...sorry knox...gave me a giggle

Isn't there a gumpaste flower supplier...assuming a ccer can't rescue you?

PaulaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PaulaT Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 6:56pm
post #7 of 29

I recently went to a cake supply store nearby and noticed they sell gumpaste flowers so that is an option for you if you have a store near you that sells them. Also, CakesbySam.com also sells flowers I believe. Go on-line and do a little research by searchiing for gumpaste flowers. You have plenty of time if you think you can't make them yourself. One more option is looking for quality silk flowers. There's some beautiful silk flowers available now. Good luck - don't stress the little things!!! You'll do fine.
Take care and happy baking. icon_smile.gif

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 7:01pm
post #8 of 29

knoxcop:
I've ordered several from Caljava and have always had luck with shipping. The "tea roses" look like what you'd need it you choose that route.
I didn't do so well either with flower making UNTIL I purchased one of T o b a G a r r e t t s books! I've watched just about every video, looked at every book I could, etc. I read over her directions, and poof...... icon_smile.gif

knoxcop1 Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 7:06pm
post #9 of 29

Wow, Y'all--Thanks for all the replies!

I had actually looked at the roses and bouquets at my cake supply, but the flowers here looked much larger, and more "open."

Also--there are several "daisies" and other smaller flowers, too.

I can ice the cake (who couldn't--just flat and simple) and do the butterflies (that's cool!) but those roses? Gah!

Like I said--just name your price and shipping. I'll send you a money order!!

--Knox--

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 7:11pm
post #10 of 29

We have a member here at CC who does amazing sugar flowers and he does sell them, on shipping you would have to contact him with a pm or email. He goes by Flowerguy here, Stewart Feldman
http://sugarflorals.com/index.html

knoxcop1 Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 7:21pm
post #11 of 29

icon_surprised.gif Thanks ShirleyW!! icon_surprised.gificon_smile.gif

I've just written to Stewart. His roses on his site look almost exactly the same!

I'm saved!

--Knox--

ShirleyW Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 7:51pm
post #12 of 29

YAY! Glad it worked out for you.

FlowerGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlowerGuy Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 12:58am
post #13 of 29

Shirley...

Thanks so much for recommending me.
I only wish I could accomodate people who require shipping. I'm running some tests in the fied to see if the flowers arrive unbroken.

If anyone has any tips on shipping custom-made gumpaste flowers, please feel free to drop me a note.

All of my work is usually for Long Island, NYC, and the Tri-State area enabling me to hand-deliver.

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 1:10am
post #14 of 29

Flowerguy.......this may kill you, but could you place small orders with other vendors and and see how they ship to you? You might get some good ideas re packing. I know that I would prefer to give my business to a fellow CC'er rather than a stranger! Good luck!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 1:18am
post #15 of 29

I've shipped gumpaste flowers to my mom......not roses....small daisies and so forth from my flower pot cake. I just wrapped them really well in some bubble wrap and then put that in a box with pieces of floral foam around to keep it in place and then put packing peanuts all around the whole thing....none of them broke and they were very delicate....I broke several just trying to put them together in a little tin watering can as an arrangement.

FlowerGuy Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 2:28am
post #16 of 29

Thanks for the replies.
I appreciate the input.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 2:33am
post #17 of 29

There are lots of places that ship sugar flowers online. Just do a google search. Good luck!

FlowerGuy Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 2:59am
post #18 of 29

Sure...plenty of companies sell ready-made flowers...but how about someone who will make flowers custom made to specifications? Do you know anyone? I believe this thread started with Knoxcop asking if there is anyone out there who can duplicate the flowers on the cake and ship them.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 3:16am
post #19 of 29

Actually from looking at the thickenss of those roses I'd venture to say they are made out of chocolate clay.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 3:35am
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerGuy

Sure...plenty of companies sell ready-made flowers...but how about someone who will make flowers custom made to specifications? Do you know anyone? I believe this thread started with Knoxcop asking if there is anyone out there who can duplicate the flowers on the cake and ship them.

I know it's not ideal, but if she can't make them herself and you don't ship, that may be an option to consitter. There are tons of gumpaste ones online and surely she could find some that the bride would be happy with if no better option is found.

knoxcop1 Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 3:36am
post #21 of 29

Thank you to everyone for your replies.

I had initially gone to my local cake supply and looked, but their flowers didn't look the same. Risque' had told me earlier that they looked like chocolate clay flowers.

The bride wants the flowers, but her budget doesn't allow for much more than about $5.00 per rose, and like $2.00 per piece for the others. In other words, I'm not at liberty to spend more than like $50-75 on the flowers, total.

Stewart's flowers are seriously amazing.

Thanks again to everyone--
--Knox--

ShirleyW Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 4:52am
post #22 of 29

It is a shame that people aren't willing to pay for quality. She may find roses for $5.00, but they are going to look like $5.00 roses too.

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 11:10am
post #23 of 29

My advice to you knox would be practice you have until May and at the last resort then buy them. You can do it, just keep practicing.

Lexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lexy Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 11:22am
post #24 of 29

You said you just finished a flowers class and you didn't do to well. Isn't there anyone in your class who did do well that you can ask?

knoxcop1 Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 3:50pm
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexy

You said you just finished a flowers class and you didn't do to well. Isn't there anyone in your class who did do well that you can ask?

Ummm....no. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif They all bite too. That was one of my first thoughts! But there's always the instructor...Yeah. That's it.

--Knox--

delaware Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delaware Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 11:07pm
post #26 of 29

The picture of the cake is from www.dessertworks.net. Maybe you could order them from there.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 11:25pm
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsawyer

Flowerguy.......this may kill you, but could you place small orders with other vendors and and see how they ship to you? You might get some good ideas re packing. I know that I would prefer to give my business to a fellow CC'er rather than a stranger! Good luck!

Me too, Flowerguy icon_smile.gif I want to learn to make them all myself but some have more natural talent than others so I am sure there may be a few times I would rather order from a "natural"! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 11:32pm
post #28 of 29

Since she has a tight budget anyway, is she opposed to silk florals as an option or is she set on hand-made-from-edible-materials florals? If the latter, she may have to change her budget.

Can't get a Cadillac on a Saturn budget! icon_wink.gif

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 11:43pm
post #29 of 29

Debi, Knox is no longer a member, she won't get your comments or help on this, but if anyone has suggestions you can reach her directly at [email protected]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%