Welcome Back Cake

Decorating By marknrox Updated 14 Mar 2005 , 2:05am by marknrox

marknrox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknrox Posted 8 Mar 2005 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 16

Does anyone have any ideas for a really cute Welcome Back cake for a doctor that is returning to her practice?

My pediatrician left to accept another job back in December and I just found out that she is coming back April 15th. My kids and I are thrilled. I thought I would volunteer to do a cake to welcome her back, but am not sure what to do. I would think it would need to be a half sheet cake.

Any ideas??? party.gif

15 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 8 Mar 2005 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 16

Maybe make the cake look like one of the windows in your doctor's office and have a bunch of faces peeking out of it (all ages adult and kids) and write on there- "We Missed You Welcome Back"

marknrox Posted 8 Mar 2005 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 16

Ok, now that's cute. Maybe make little fondant 3D people (kids & nurses)?

I'm leaving work now, but will be home in an hour or so and will check back for more. Thank you!!! thumbs_up.gif

marknrox Posted 9 Mar 2005 , 2:03am
post #4 of 16

Any more ideas? I LOVE what I've heard so far, I just would like more ideas to get my creative juices flowing, maybe something to add in addition to the faces in the window.

Anybody???

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 9 Mar 2005 , 8:59am
post #5 of 16

how about making the cake into a small doctor office, with fondant people waiting in the waiting room, reading fondant magazines with a medical name on it, a fondant newspaper with headlines that say she is coming back, children laying on the floor, things like that. With the saying of " We've been waiting for you! Welcome back."
I am not a great creative person, but can do ok.... I am sure you will do fine.

marknrox Posted 9 Mar 2005 , 1:51pm
post #6 of 16

That is a very cute idea too!!! Thank you. I think fondant accents are probably the way to go. They are so much fun to make even though they taste awful. LOL.

Any other ideas?

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 9 Mar 2005 , 3:02pm
post #7 of 16

How about a doctor's bag..and make a stethoscope, blood pressure cuff and thermometer coming out of the bag and a card or note that says welcome back..all made from fondant or for better tasting stuff, use MM Fondant!

marknrox Posted 9 Mar 2005 , 3:13pm
post #8 of 16

I like that idea too. But what a challenge!!! I wouldn't know how to go about crafting a doctor bag cake and I'm not sure it would be big enough. But, maybe what I could do, is make a sheet cake and make the doctor bag, etc. into accessories. How's that sound?

(Have you ever done that? Any tips?)

MrsMissey Posted 9 Mar 2005 , 4:21pm
post #9 of 16

Lots of ideas...just give me a minute to get them from my head to the keyboard! icon_biggrin.gif

marknrox Posted 9 Mar 2005 , 4:22pm
post #10 of 16

Can't wait...(tap tap tap) icon_lol.gif

MrsMissey Posted 9 Mar 2005 , 4:32pm
post #11 of 16

Bake your sheetcake, reserve some batter and make a small, like 6" cake and freeze that one. Once frozen scuplt into the shape of a dr. bag...use your imagination or look at a picture. Cover either with colored icing, pat w/a paper towel to give a textured look OR cover w/colored fondant..brush lightly w/corn syrup, mixed with a drop of water for a shiny look. Place that on top the sheet cake.

Make the handles of the bag from rolled pieces of colored fondant. You could put the doctors name on the bag or just the symbol "Rx"...

The blood pressure cuff is just a rectangular piece of fondant, roll one end over (just like you would picture it sitting on a table). Prop it up where it is folded over to give a rounded look. Take another small rectangular piece of fondant, colored gray or something and press the end of tip #233 (like the tip you make grass with) all over it, to make it look like "velcro" , or if you don't have that tip..use a piece of crumbled foil and press it gently into the fondant..(I used that to make the textured look on a bath towel that I did) place that at one end of the cuff thing.

The stethoscope is easy enough to picture and make from fondant. Same with a pill bottle and thermometer.

The caption on the cake could be something like..
"Welcome Back Dr. So-n-so...We Feel Better Already"

Hope this give you some ideas!!

marknrox Posted 9 Mar 2005 , 4:39pm
post #12 of 16

Oh, that sounds great. thumbs_up.gif Carve the little cake while frozen? I COULD just cut part of the circle off (maybe even in half and put the two halves together) and make it from there, huh???

I truly hope I can do this cake justice. I've only been decorating for about 1 1/2 years, mostly for my kids - school, daycare, etc. I love doing this stuff and am fairly crafty, icon_lol.gif so maybe I can pull this off.

Thank you so much! You wouldn't happen to have any pictures would you?

MrsMissey Posted 9 Mar 2005 , 4:45pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknrox

Oh, that sounds great. thumbs_up.gif Carve the little cake while frozen? I COULD just cut part of the circle off (maybe even in half and put the two halves together) and make it from there, huh???

You could do that! It just makes it easier to sculpt a cake when it's frozen..less crumbs and it's stiffer!

You can do it...no doubts. Just plan it all out ahead of time and you'll do great.

I don't have any pictures because I never did this...it just all came in my head when I read your post! icon_biggrin.gif

marknrox Posted 9 Mar 2005 , 4:50pm
post #14 of 16

Thank you so much everyone. I have my mind going now. Don't stop with the ideas though, I love them and may try to incorporate a lot of them into one.

I'd love to hear of any ideas from cali4dawn, too.

This is great and thanks for boosting my confidence (as you can see from my avatar, I lack some of that). icon_redface.gif

MrsMissey Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 12:40am
post #15 of 16

If you still thinking about doing this type of cake, check out the link below, I just stumbled over this in the gallery..too ironic!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&album=57&pos=8

marknrox Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 2:05am
post #16 of 16

Thank you!! That is really cool! icon_cool.gif I couldn't do it justice though. I'll aim for something like that, but on a smaller and maybe whimsical scale.

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%