Frosting/icing Questions

Decorating By tripletmom Updated 12 Mar 2005 , 11:16pm by cake77

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 8 Mar 2005 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 7

Hello all!

This past weekend I made the Wilton recipe for buttercream, no meringue in the one I had. I used my hand held for it (it's all I have right now) and I'm wondering if the setting makes a difference. It did not come out smooth but rather bubbly. When I tried to smooth it onto a cake it just looked like it had a rough texture. How can I can I ensure that when I make my own icing that it will come out smooth? I know everyone has a recipe they like however i only know the Wilton.

With this in mind, how about the recipes on this site? Do any of you highly recommend some of them? When would you use a non-crusting buttercream vs a crusting one? I need to find the buttercream recipe that does it all and a chocolate one as well.

I know, I know, annoying newbie! I really do appreciate all the help though!!!

Thanks,

Tripletmom

6 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 8 Mar 2005 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 7

No- you're not annoying.
When I have made the wilton buttercream icing in the past, I have found that you have to use the highest setting on your handheld in order to get everything mixed really good. With that said, I always held my breath and hoped that my handheld wouldn't burn out. Mine lasted about 2 big cakes and several small cakes- but it was also a 225 watt handheld- that does seem to make a difference.
If you look in the recipe area of this site there is a section called frostings. Also do a search with the word frosting in it and you will probably pull up threads that will have people's own recipes in them.
Hope this helps!
m0use

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 12 Mar 2005 , 2:15am
post #3 of 7

I'm in love! With a buttercream recipe that is! I made cali4dawn's recipe and it really is awesome. I've made 2 batches today and they are fantastic. My first one that I made 2 days ago didn't crust very well however i think that was due to how I was smoothing it. My knife was very wet. It seemed to work but made the icing very soft. Today's batch was like magic! Forget the Wilton recipe, it doesn't even compare!

As for the mixer, my handheld got quite warm however it seemed to hold up. I even tried my grandmother's old Sunbeam stand-up mixer and that worked well however it got really hot. The darn thing is at least 50 years old but it still works!

Thanks for your advice on searching for the recipes. I finally figured out how to do it and that is how I got the recipe.

Did I mention just how much I LOVE this site???

ilithiya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilithiya Posted 12 Mar 2005 , 4:15am
post #4 of 7

Ooh! This recipe sounds like a must-try... Cali4Dawn, would you be willing to share with me? Thank you! icon_lol.gif

Illy

cakelady1994 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady1994 Posted 12 Mar 2005 , 4:44am
post #5 of 7

cali4dawn,could i get a copy of your buttercream recipe to please,? Thank you icon_smile.gif

nashsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nashsmom Posted 12 Mar 2005 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 7

I have my Mom's old Sunbeam mixer. I remember standing on a chair watching her mix cookies in there. Still works too! I don't think it is as old as yours but isn't it amazing that they still work? Now I have to go find Cali4dawn's recipe!

cake77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake77 Posted 12 Mar 2005 , 11:16pm
post #7 of 7

caly4dawn's recipe is really great it is in the frosting section. It is the same recipe that is used for the buttercream transfers. She has been a great help to me. I just did my first buttercream transfer 2 days ago and I am hooked icon_smile.gif

Cake77

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%