Trying To Make A Flower Pot

Decorating By KimAZ Updated 10 Oct 2005 , 9:57pm by MrsMissey

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 5:52am
post #1 of 5

Hi,
I'm wanting to make a flower pot with a round shaped cactus sitting in it. I will use the ball pan for the cactus and am trying to figure out what to use for the actual flower pot part. I want a pot that looks smaller at the bottom and wider around at the top, like a real flower pot.

I was thinking of using the wondermold, cutting some off the top then turning it upside down. However, that would make the bottom smaller than the top (which is what I want) but I don't know how to make it stand up AND support the ball cake on top. Doesn't seem like doweling it would really work right.
Does that make sense? Or perhaps another idea to make the pot? Maybe two round cakes would work but I don't know how to carve them for that angled look. Any tips on how to do this would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
KimAZ

P.S. This cake only needs to feed about 20.

4 replies
edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 5:56am
post #2 of 5

Hi! I've never done anything like this so I'm not going to be of much help, but there is a tutorial for making a complicated baby in a flower pot here:

http://www.cakecentral.com/article46-Step-By-Step-3D-Cake-Sculpting-Baby-in-a-Flower-Pot.html

You may find just the flower pot part of it useful. I hope someone can help more! Good luck.

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks Edencakes! I saw that tutorial and am hoping to try that exact method. However, I'm not using fondant to cover the pot so I have a feeling it won't be sturdy enough with just buttercream. Ack!!

Any other tips?

KimAZ

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 5

If you have the 2005 Wilton Yearbook, on page 70, they used the Wonder Mold Pan for the flower pot, also iced in buttercream. It was inverted as well, and part of the narrow end cut off for a wider base. Maybe it's on the Wilton website or someone can scan & send it to you.

And Coletter Peters made one in one of her books, not sure which one!

HTH!

Mirjana

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 9:57pm
post #5 of 5

In the book "Colettes Cakes"..she used an actual clay flowerpot that was 3 x 7-1/2".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%