White Buttercream???

Decorating By like-a-fat-kid-loves-cake Updated 25 Oct 2005 , 8:20pm by melze

like-a-fat-kid-loves-cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
like-a-fat-kid-loves-cake Posted 8 Oct 2005 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 18

How do i get white buttercream? this might sound silly but i cant find any butter thats white all the butter in england is yellow! i am doing a white dog sculpture cake and i can never get icing the right thickness to hold piping that sounds like i am stupid but i havent found the right recipe. please help me!
xxx

17 replies
flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 8 Oct 2005 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 18

well where do you get your frosting colors? Usually you will see a bottle of white white frosting liquid that would work....

blittle6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blittle6 Posted 8 Oct 2005 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 18

I think most people use a recipe with all shortening when they want a true white frosting. There is also a product here called bright white that's basically a white food coloring you can add to the frosting. Sorry that's all the help I have. Maybe someone else can help you more!

Berta

thyterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thyterrell Posted 8 Oct 2005 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 18

You could use the Wilton Class Buttercream recipe. There is no butter, just butter flavoring, and the color is very white.

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 8 Oct 2005 , 8:05pm
post #5 of 18

When I want Super White I just use all crisco and no butter at all. You can add butter Flavoring if you want that butter taste. Wilton have a white coloring liquid (I forgot the name that I sometimes add. But if you use all crisco you will get a true white.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 8 Oct 2005 , 8:09pm
post #6 of 18

I do not like the all crisco recipe...so I always add the wilton white coloring. It makes the icing very white even with using butter.
traci

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 8 Oct 2005 , 8:57pm
post #7 of 18

We can't get the white colouring in England. If you want white icing you need to use white vegetable fat instead of butter. Over here it's sold under the brand names of trex or white flora. It's found in the chiller cabinet at the supermarket alongside the lard and the solid vegetable oils. I've never found the butter flavouring over here either but you could flavour with a small amount of vanilla extract. If you don't need pure white icing you could try half butter and half vegetable fat. Unsalted butter is normally a slightly paler colour than salted. Hope this helps
Michelle

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 8 Oct 2005 , 9:04pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBaritone

We can't get the white colouring in England. If you want white icing you need to use white vegetable fat instead of butter. Over here it's sold under the brand names of trex or white flora. It's found in the chiller cabinet at the supermarket alongside the lard and the solid vegetable oils. I've never found the butter flavouring over here either but you could flavour with a small amount of vanilla extract. If you don't need pure white icing you could try half butter and half vegetable fat. Unsalted butter is normally a slightly paler colour than salted. Hope this helps
Michelle

see I knew you would come to the rescue!!!!!!!! I couldnt for the life of me remember the name they called it there..... its the same way in Germany!

like-a-fat-kid-loves-cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
like-a-fat-kid-loves-cake Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 11:41am
post #9 of 18

ahh thats what it is, i have that in the fridge my mum uses it for cooking all the time, thankyou all for your help.
lisa
xxx
thanx again icon_biggrin.gif

MissBaritone Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 3:46pm
post #10 of 18

No problem , when I first joined this site it was like speaking a different language but now I think I have most of the translations. The only trouble is now when I talk to my friends over here I keep using american names instead of English and it can cause some confusion

BUNCHY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BUNCHY Posted 12 Oct 2005 , 6:50pm
post #11 of 18

You should also be able to use "Clear" butter extract to help acheive your flavor, but not jeopordize your white color icing.

Hope this helps.

Bunchy

MissBaritone Posted 12 Oct 2005 , 8:45pm
post #12 of 18

i don't know what clear butter extract is but again it's something I've never heard of or seen over here. In England the only buttercream recipes you find are made with all butter hence we have no need for butter flavouring or extract. The draw back is as the start of this thread we can't make a white buttercream with our recipe but as the majority of cakes over here are decorated with royal icing or fondant it's not a huge problem

cakebox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebox Posted 12 Oct 2005 , 9:00pm
post #13 of 18

Hi, I'm fairly new here but is clear butter extract the same as imitation butter flavoring? The clear vanilla here in the US is imitation vanilla, I think. OT briefly, for anyone in Europe: what kind of baking powders are available - I think I read somewhere about tartrate baking powders being preferred for cakes and more readily available over there. How do cakes turn out with it?

MissBaritone Posted 13 Oct 2005 , 6:03am
post #14 of 18

In England it's very rare that we need baking powder, most of us use self raising flour for our cakes and that already has the rasing agent built in . We can buy cream of tartar and something called baking powder but i've no idea what's in it.

cakebox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebox Posted 13 Oct 2005 , 2:29pm
post #15 of 18

Thanks for the reply. I was about to ask my in-laws to bring some tartrate bp back just to experiment (my brother-in-law is Welsh). He makes a wicked sticky toffee pudding...

eleets_treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eleets_treats Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 12:53pm
post #16 of 18

hi, i am in australia and would also like to make white buttercream. just wondering MissBaritone mentioned using white vegetable fat, what is vegetable fat? is there a difference between white vegetable fat, solid vegetable oil and copha. what should i use as they are all white.

SUGARMAMA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUGARMAMA Posted 19 Oct 2005 , 6:16pm
post #17 of 18

i tried using white food coloring last night with my BC (butter recipe) and it didn't work. i bought it at a local cake supply store, i think it's called cake craft. it made the frosting a light pale color but still not white.

melze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melze Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 8:20pm
post #18 of 18

help.... yes, im the same in australia; and have no idea of a recipie thyat we can, or have heard of ingredients in it. any help greatly appreciated

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%