Sheet Cake Frosting Help

Decorating By saadi Updated 18 Feb 2023 , 7:47pm by MBalaska

saadi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saadi Posted 27 Jan 2023 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 7

Hello all, im voluntarily making a sheet cake for a community tournament and I wanted to do a vanilla cake with whipped cream filling and fruits (kinda like berry Chantilly) and then also frosted in whipped cream...but I also wanted to do some cute colorful decorations possibly as well as write some text in color...does whipped cream color easily? or should I use a different frosting for the writing only? or should I just do the whole cake in another frosting? im just worried about the taste if the writing/possible decor is different cream/frosting from the filling/coat frosting...hope this makes sense! my main thing is I want to do the text and decor on top in color...please advise! thanks

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Jan 2023 , 5:01pm
post #2 of 7

idk -- it sounds like it will be out of refrigeration for too long to use whipped cream -- i'd avoid that if it was me -- you can find other whipped icings that can be out of refrigeration -- aka shelf stable --

there's no issue with using different flavored icings unless it's peppermint and you want the vanilla to be dominant -- the peppermint of course will overcome the vanilla -- if they are all relatively the same-ish you definitely can combine them on the same cake -- for example write with white chocolate on a buttercream iced cake with a meringue icing for the filling -- that's all fine --

but since you need this much advice i would say, go with what you are already confident with using for the cake and experiment with the other when you have time ~

so i just looked up berry chantilly icing -- no bueno -- it's cream cheese -- again there's a refrigeration problem -- 

Berry Chantilly Cake (southernliving.com)

i'm gonna give you an icing recipe you might wanna use -- be right back...

saadi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saadi Posted 27 Jan 2023 , 5:22pm
post #4 of 7

thanks for the tips! yeah maybe ill do white chocolate for the writing! I didnt think of that :) the cake shouldn't be out too long. its in our gym which is equipped with a full commercial kitchen so ill have them put it in the fridge until its time to eat :D not too worried about that. thanks again! 

-K8memphis Posted 28 Jan 2023 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 7

good -- sounds like a plan!

-K8memphis Posted 28 Jan 2023 , 7:10pm
post #6 of 7

so here's the big question, saadi -- since you are doing this one voluntarily -- how many have you done against your will??grinning

grinning grinning grinning

just kidding just kidding -- just being perfectly silly!!!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 18 Feb 2023 , 7:47pm
post #7 of 7

just keep it simple. If it ain't a wedding, and it's for free.........................  keep it simple.

Once the first pieces are cut out, your design is long gone.  Sheet cakes Photos (cakecentral.com)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%