Chocolate Candy Melts

Decorating By prettycakes Updated 10 Oct 2005 , 8:44pm by prettycakes

prettycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycakes Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 13

Can I use the food coloring paste for icing to color candy melts?

12 replies
eve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 13

icon_smile.gif Yes you can !!![/b]

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 13

there are candy colors available. They are used just for chocolate. If you use food colors, the chocolate will seize up. You can add some crisco type shortening or even vegetable oil to thin it out. But the candy colors are the best to use.

eve Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 13

icon_smile.gif Candy Melts is NOT Chocolate, and no it does not seize...I do it all the time ... as long as you use the Wiltons ICing Colors and non of that tacky liquid food coloring, that should be ok... thumbsdown.gifusaribbon.gif

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 13

Jeez Eve, relax! I agree though, I've used all kinds of colors and nothing's ever seized on me!

eve Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 9:08pm
post #6 of 13

icon_biggrin.gifTHANK YOU... I just go ballistic when I see wrong information....
thumbs_up.gif

katiebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiebug Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 11:14pm
post #7 of 13

icon_biggrin.gif Ummm yes it can sieze up on you ...if you use a LOT of color. Had it happen when I was trying to make some pre-colored red melts redder. Ended up with a big clumpy mess. icon_confused.gif

prettycakes Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 11:23pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks for the tips! Seeing as how the only colors of candy melts avalible in my area are white, milk chocolate, and dark chocolate (I agree, they taste nothing like chocolate). I have to be pretty creative with my coloring techniques.

I am going to make some fall leaves now!

bulldog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bulldog Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 11:27pm
post #9 of 13

hey, check out the leaves gabpeightysmom made on her leaf cake. I did it like she explained, using a piping bag and the melted candy melts. worked well, very happy with result.

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 11:42pm
post #10 of 13

I have also had it sieze up on me. And not it was not overcooked. So it is possible.

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 8 Oct 2005 , 2:16am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by eve

icon_biggrin.gifTHANK YOU... I just go ballistic when I see wrong information....
thumbs_up.gif

I am sorry you went balastic. But I have been making candy since 1978 and while you are correct that candy melts are not real chocolate, they are candy coating and if you use liquid or paste icing food colors, it will seize up or get thick. That is why they make candy colors just for candy. If you do add the paste or liquid colors, you can add shortening to help it melt all the way. I thought this forum was for sharing ideas and information and experiences. These are my experiences. I think 27 years of candy making let's me share what I know.

cheekysweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheekysweets Posted 8 Oct 2005 , 9:01pm
post #12 of 13

Yes, as a matter of fact I was just playing with them for the first time today, you can seize them with to much color or over melting icon_wink.gif . Can be fixed with crisco but it does not come to a pourable consistency - something like a moldable paste. You can also burn it and turn it into crystals dunce.gif Oh well its fun trying new things.

prettycakes Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 8:44pm
post #13 of 13

Bulldog, it is funny you should mention gabpeightysmom. That is exactly what I am trying to do. So, you used a pastry bag for the melted chocolate? I was just going to use a paint brush and brush the candy melts on. I have my first batch in the fridge right now. I will let you know how they turn out. Also, What side of the leaf did you use. I am trying a couple on both sides to see the diffrence. I am worried that the side with the veining will be too thin and my candy will fall apart when I try to take them off the leaf.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%