Air Bubble Forms Under Icing As Cake Comes To Room Temp

Decorating By Nliving Updated 12 Dec 2021 , 9:25pm by -K8memphis

Nliving Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nliving Posted 11 Dec 2021 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 2

Can anybody tell me how to prevent these air bubbles that form under my icing when I take the cake out of the fridge.  An hour or two later I have a big bulge or it cracks.  Very disappointing!   I don’t crumb coat…could that help? I use a buttercream made of shortening and butter (for our hot temperatures) or a cream cheese frosting made of cream cheese and butter.  Please let me know your thoughts.  

1 reply
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Dec 2021 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 2

icing bubbles aka cake farts are a thing of nature -- it happens in all kinds of cakes meringue icing, fondant, buttercream, previously frozen, never frozen, room temp, fridged etc, etc, etc, 

some people put a weight on top of a cake board on top of assembled tiers overnight to force the flatulence out in advance -- some people poke a small hole open in 'the back' of the cake, under a rose etc. in the completed cake layers so the air can escape --

if you want to respond to this please start a new post and we will all follow -- 

welcome to cc -- it's a little ghost towny, part of the charm, but we're still here --

best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%