Stability Of Ganache Outside?

Decorating By chudimac11 Updated 15 Sep 2021 , 5:39pm by -K8memphis

chudimac11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chudimac11 Posted 2 Sep 2021 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 5

I’ve never tried a ganache covered cake.  I heard it was more stable with heat and I need to display my cake outside in the heat and humidity in Florida (thankfully in the evening in September).  I know dark chocolate ganache can withstand up to 85F but I’ll need to use white chocolate (probably bark) for part of the cake.  Anyone have a chart on the heat it can withstand our experience with this?  Thanks!!!

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Sep 2021 , 12:46am
post #2 of 5

I mean any cake will melt out there depending on the wind and humidity and temperature and how long it's out there -- just a thousand variables --

I encouraged my clients to a) avoid outdoor cake tables --  b) take the cake out to the table at the last minute if conditions are not favorable -- like you said, towards 90 degrees and above would be unfavorable -- 

and that's what I always told them -- they're paying per serving for a gorgeous looking and great tasting cake -- using it outdoors in unpredictable and potentially bad conditions means they lose the display part of what they are buying -- losing half the impact -- they can of course still serve it but it won't be the focal point of the event --

I discouraged outdoor receptions -- 

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 7 Sep 2021 , 12:26am
post #3 of 5

I made 2 birthday cakes for outdoor parties. Was 85 d and very humid. I kept both cakes in a soft sided cooler on a heavy bread board with ice packs underneath. As K8memphis posted, I wouldn’t put the cake out until the last minute, which is what I did. About 15 minutes before. Let the cold cake warm up. I covered the cakes in a 80/20 ganache and buttercream. I think if I was transporting many cakes in hot/humid I would build a insulated cake delivery system. Several of my pro cake friends have made  them, and love them. Here is a link on how to do it. 

https://avaloncakesschool.com/delivery-box/ 

chudimac11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chudimac11 Posted 8 Sep 2021 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks all!  This cake is for my own son’s party.  We have no choice with the type of party to have it outdoors so I will wait to bring out the cake, but it would be nice to bring it out earlier!  I was thinking with ganache, it could buy me a little extra time…

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Sep 2021 , 5:39pm
post #5 of 5

use your best judgement -- it's not going to slide off quickly or anything like you already know  -- just keep an eye on it -- if you have access to the inside of your house or back into a cooler -- sure why not -- display it -- my point of reference is like beach weddings for 200 or in a barn in 100 degree weather with a ceiling fan that act as a convection oven -- if it's a smaller item -- sure why not -- just be prepared to whisk it in to a cooler place if necessary -- 

i think a slice of cake with warm ganache would be killer!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%