Ganache Cracking Into Chunks

Decorating By WalkersNC Updated 5 Aug 2021 , 11:14pm by -K8memphis

WalkersNC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WalkersNC Posted 4 Aug 2021 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a 3D NASCAR cake, and refrigerated after crumb coating with whipped ganache 1 recipe.

When I took it out to add details and smooth, I was unable to do anything without the ganache cracking and falling off.  I've repaired the damage, but now I'm afraid to continue with the fondant on top.

I'm wondering what caused this problem, and also if it would be safer to coat with buttercream on top of the ganache and then proceed with fondant.

At this point, if I put on the fondant, I won't be able to cut out the wheels and lights without destroying the cake!

Please help!  You've always saved the day for me.  I am not a professional, obviously, but my grandchildren know that I'll always make a special cake for their birthdays.

4 replies
WalkersNC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WalkersNC Posted 5 Aug 2021 , 1:07am
post #2 of 5

It's a busy time for everyone, I'm sure.  Anyway, I rubbed shortening into the ganache to soften it, and patched where needed with more ganache.  I added more butter to my unused ganache to make it softer before filling cracks. 

It worked out after all.  

Best to all!

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 5 Aug 2021 , 1:40am
post #3 of 5

Glad you figured it out. I’ve never used “whipped” ganache for covering a cake. Just plain ole ganache. Can’t imagine why the ganache cracked? My ganache is the consistency of peanut butter. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 5 Aug 2021 , 3:02am
post #4 of 5

I, too, am happy you figured it out.  I did see your question,  but had no idea what happened.  Only once have I had my ganache to crack and it was because the buttercream was coming loose from the cake.........why I do not know.  I just patched it and tried not to move it around.  Fortunately, it held together until it was cut and served.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Aug 2021 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 5

all I knew was my mouth watered every time I thought about lovely chunks of panache falling from heaven -- mmm

but seriously -- glad you figured it out -- yes sounds like a problem obviously adhering -- like if you just used the edge of the cake as it came out of the pan -- it's dusted with flour and grease and it can sometimes mess things up like this -- cause the icing to bubble up and in this case since it was cold it cracked -- but even trimmed edges can bubble out --

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%