How To Make/get Thicker Layers?

Baking By saadi Updated 27 Jul 2021 , 8:22pm by jchuck

saadi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saadi Posted 26 Jul 2021 , 12:55pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all! I was wondering how can I get thicker cake layers? I like my cake layers to be nice and big but many times when following a recipe, cakes end up coming out like only an inch thick...I want to consistently get at least 1 1/2 inch layers...is there any trick I can apply to any recipe I use? OR do you use recipes from someone who's cakes always come out thick (and tasty!)? PLEASE  share! 

5 replies
saadi Posted 26 Jul 2021 , 12:56pm
post #2 of 6

also wanted to add, is it just adding more batter to the pans that makes them thick? In that case, is there any way to make more cake batter when following a recipe? Or is it not that easy to do without having some science knowledge? lol

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 26 Jul 2021 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 6

Yes, you just need to add more batter to the pan.  For 2 inch pans, the batter should fill approximately 2/3 full, for 3 inch pans, about 1/2 full.  I usually do slightly more, but have been known to run over my pans during baking.

The way to up size you recipe by half, let's say, divide the ingredients by two and add that much additional of each ingredient.  For instance, if the original recipe calls for 3 cups of flour, divide 3 cups by 2, which is 1-1/2 cups.  The upsized recipe would use 4-1/2 cups of flour.  Do that for all ingredients.  If a recipe calls for 3 eggs and I want to up size it, instead of trying to add 4-1/2 eggs, I just go ahead and add 5.  Most other ingredients are easier to divide evenly.  Hope this makes sense.

saadi Posted 26 Jul 2021 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 6

oh yes that makes sense! thanks :)

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 26 Jul 2021 , 11:18pm
post #5 of 6

Best of luck to you, Saadi!

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 27 Jul 2021 , 8:22pm
post #6 of 6

I always deliberately fill my pans so my cakes will dome. Almost batter to the top.  Then while cake is still warm from the oven, take my serrated knife, using top of the pan as a guide, I slice off the excess cake. I can use the excess cake as a filler when doing my layers, save for cake pops, or cake spackle.   

And the plus is I get a nice flat even top on my cake. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%