Finding Out What Other Local Bakers Charge...help!

Baking By Jsscgrnwll Updated 23 Apr 2021 , 7:46pm by SandraSmiley

Jsscgrnwll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jsscgrnwll Posted 23 Apr 2021 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 2

I am starting my Cottage Food bakery soon (custom cakes) and none of the local home bakers in my area reveal any of their price points on social media/websites...

I want to know what others are roughly charging so I can make sure I'm not charging too much, or too little! I want to respect the other bakers in every way.  

All of this to ask- is it appropriate to just straight up email them and ask them what their base prices are for different size cakes? Do people do that? Or should I email them under my husbands email and conceal my identity as a prospective customer seeking a quote?

Hope this isn't a silly question- I'm just really struggling here! Any advice to how to approach this would be appreciated! :) 

1 reply
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 23 Apr 2021 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 2

I don't have a business, but I think that I would probably price my cakes according to what I felt they were worth, just like I do when I do custom cakes for someone.  You will certainly find out quickly enough if you are overcharging, because the client will tell you so.  If you are undercharging, you will probably see a huge influx of customers.  That maybe silly, because I have not tried it, but that is what I would do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%