Polymer Clay Experts, A Question, Please

Lounge By -K8memphis Updated 22 Apr 2021 , 12:58pm by -K8memphis

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Apr 2021 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 11

i need to make something a pretty and soft yellow metallic gold -- the color is called mica pigment or something like that -- last week when I was checking, the only choice was sunset gold and nope it's pretty gloomy --

so my question is -- can you use cake luster dust on polymer clay for a permanent finish? y'know bake it on -- I guess I could paint it on but that doesn't seem as permanent as baking it on when you dry the piece in the oven -- 

thank you

10 replies
jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 16 Apr 2021 , 11:25pm
post #2 of 11

No you can’t bake lustre dust on polymer clay. You can colour/paint your clay with metallic gold. I use the same gold I use for fondant/gumpaste. Then use a varnish to give your clay a permanent shine and protection. Example Sculpey clay glaze, which I have.  https://shadesofclay.com/shop/sculpey-glaze-1-oz-satin 

Hope this helps. ❤️

jchuck Posted 16 Apr 2021 , 11:27pm
post #3 of 11

K8memphis 

Since I can’t add to my previous post, wanted to mention you can also use plain ole gold craft paint as well. Then use the glaze afterwards.

-K8memphis Posted 17 Apr 2021 , 12:30am
post #4 of 11

yes helps a ton! thank you, june!

used to be, you had to clean your oven after using polymer clay - guess they changed all that -- good!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 17 Apr 2021 , 2:01am
post #5 of 11

The only time I've made anything from clay, I used the air dry kind and I did color it with my petal and luster dusts.

-K8memphis Posted 17 Apr 2021 , 2:24pm
post #6 of 11

thank you, sandra!!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 18 Apr 2021 , 2:53am
post #7 of 11

You are very welcome, -K8!

jchuck Posted 19 Apr 2021 , 5:58pm
post #8 of 11

When I’m using my clay craft clay, I use either my artists chalk or lustre colours/dusts. Because this clay dries and looks and feels like paper

-K8memphis Posted 20 Apr 2021 , 12:20am
post #9 of 11

i haven't made my thing yet but the metallic craft paint I found dries very nicely on different surfaces so if it does as good on the clay as it has the paper, wood and plastic I won't need to get the glaze blush

I am woefully uneducated about clay but I love to sculpt so maybe I'll add some to my repertoire going forward -- we'll see 

thank you!

but I sent all my dusts & stuff to Bolivia anyway, I was just gonna buy one if it worked for the polymer clay -- but the paint is wonderful two bucks at wally world (walmart)

jchuck Posted 21 Apr 2021 , 11:28pm
post #10 of 11

K8memphis....ya can’t beat $2 at Wally Mart. I actually get the same craft paint Wally Mart sells for $2 for $1 at my Dollar store!! Woot Woot!!! 

-K8memphis Posted 22 Apr 2021 , 12:58pm
post #11 of 11

hahahaha point taken!  if I run out, I know where to go -- high five!

(hope I spelled everything right, don't have my glasses on)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%