German Baking Chocolate Substitute?

Baking By mrsmac888 Updated 18 Mar 2021 , 4:16pm by -K8memphis

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 17 Mar 2021 , 9:52pm
post #1 of 8

I received a last minute cake request for a German Chocolate cake.  The recipe calls for no other than German Sweet Chocolate, of which I am out of.  Is there something I can use instead?  Just dark chocolate maybe?

Thanks,
Christina

Oh, HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!

7 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 17 Mar 2021 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 8

I found this on My Frugal Home site:

Combine one ounce of melted unsweetened baking chocolate and four teaspoons of granulated sugar. Then, use in place of one ounce of German's sweet chocolate. This will give you that signature sweetness that the recipeis built around.

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 18 Mar 2021 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 8

Sandra, 

Thank you!  :-)

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 18 Mar 2021 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 8

You are very welcome.  Please let us know how it works.  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Mar 2021 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 8

that will get the sweetness but the big deal about a Germans chocolate cake is the milder Germans chocolate --

it will be a great chocolate cake, no doubt -- but if you're going this route you need a bunch of milk to tamp down the chocolate -- 

it's like making an apple tart and subbing in peaches for the apples -- you will have a lovely fruit tart but it ain't apple! 

but your client might not be that picky -- idk -- but germans is a lighter chocolate --

I gotta brownie recipe that comes out close using cocoa -- I'll post a pic I hope in a sec -- you probably already got it in the oven though...

-K8memphis Posted 18 Mar 2021 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 8

dear Jesus, please don’t let my pictures turn sideways but I’m sure you’re quite busy elsewhere — no worries ~

German Baking Chocolate Substitute?German Baking Chocolate Substitute?German Baking Chocolate Substitute?

-K8memphis Posted 18 Mar 2021 , 4:13pm
post #7 of 8

He got one out of three!!! nobody’s perfect hahahahaha

-K8memphis Posted 18 Mar 2021 , 4:16pm
post #8 of 8

but it’s a brownie recipe, denser but it is a cakey-ish brownie come to think of it — that toffee filling is to absolutely die for go straight to sugar overload heaven mmmmmm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%