Thawing Drop Cookies

Baking By inthekitchen2 Updated 9 Dec 2020 , 3:48pm by SandraSmiley

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 8 Dec 2020 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 3

Okay, so I know how to freeze and thaw my decorated sugar cookies, but I have a question about drop cookies. I am mailing some to my family, and am planning on individually sealing them for freshness. I know they are talking about freezing them and pulling them out when needed, but I don't know the correct thawing process on these. With my individually-sealed decorated sugar cookies they need to be thawed in their packages, not touched until they are room temp. I don't know if this applies to drop cookies. I know I can test, however I'm not sure that I have time. Do I tell them to cut open every drop cookie to thaw? Will keeping them in their individually sealed bags to thaw be okay? Thanks for any help in this. I don't ship, so this is new to me, and yes, they are family, but they are paying!

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Dec 2020 , 12:51am
post #2 of 3

to me there's different variables that could make it go either way -- 

when I freeze things I often see frost inside the packaging so in that case to my way of thinking I would open the frozen cookie immediately and brush off the ice crystals -- but if there are no ice crystals inside they could just thaw in the wrappers -- idk -- it's not a universal one size fits all thing -- they'll probably be fine left in the packaging to thaw but I mean I don't know if they might thaw during shipping get re-frozen ??

probably be fine depending on what condition they are in after the journey and depending on what kind of freezer, how often it's opened --

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 9 Dec 2020 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 3

I've never frozen cookies individually wrapped and I've never shipped them, but I have frozen 50 million drop cookies.....I guess by drop cookies you mean chocolate chip, oatmeal, peanut butter, etc.  I've always just allowed them to cool, stacked them in a Tupperware container with wax paper between the layers and stuck in the freezer.  When ready to eat, I take the box out of the freezer and allow the cookies to thaw in the refrigerator.  Never had any issues.  To me, cookies seem pretty tough and stand up to freezing/thawing easily.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%