Ganache/smbc

Baking By Hoxtonbabe Updated 24 Nov 2020 , 6:07pm by SandraSmiley

Hoxtonbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hoxtonbabe Posted 24 Nov 2020 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 2

Hi all,

So I’m just needing some advice/opinions on this.

So I get that you can get sharper edges etc with ganache and personally I do find it easier to get the sharpness than on a standard buttercream. I know to use white  choc on a vanilla sponge and milk or dark chocolate on a chocolate sponge but what would you use on say a spiced ginger or pistachio cake? I can’t quite imagine ginger and white choc working, but I could be wrong and my kids have got so fed up of being my guinea pigs they can’t stand the sight of cake anymore, not even their favourite chocolate :-(

Also I love SMBC and would like to work with this more, and in an ideal world  I would like to use it as both filling and coating but I wonder if the SM would be quite slippy to work with under fondant, bulge easily, etc  ( hope im making sense) so I'm just wondering if anyone had any ideas, advice etc

many thanks 

1 reply
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 24 Nov 2020 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 2

I rarely use fondant (because I hate it), so cannot address the use of SMBC underneath it.  Since it sets up very firmly when cool, I would think it would work fine unless you are in a very warm environment.

You can flavor your ganache a million different ways.  Here is a great guide for making different types.

https://veenaazmanov.com/ganache-flavor-variations/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%