Modeling Chocoalte

Decorating By Aish90 Updated 14 Oct 2020 , 3:34am by Aish90

Aish90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aish90 Posted 9 Oct 2020 , 1:10am
post #1 of 8

Hi, 

I am using modeling chocolate for the first time. I followed this tutorial : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfJ-61hj2f8&t=799s&ab_channel=SideserfCakeStudio

I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of color she used? Also can I freeze the cake once I have covered it with  modeling chocolate? Can I also paint it then freeze it?? Or is it better to freeze unpainted then finish it up later?

I am making it for my sons birthday on the 17th but I  was too anxious about doing it later and started it early :(. 

This is what I have so far: 

Modeling Chocoalte

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aisha

7 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 9 Oct 2020 , 3:26am
post #2 of 8

I make sculptures with modeling chocolate all the time, but I have never frozen it.  I would suggest you wrap your cake as is and freeze it until the 15th, then finish with the modeling chocolate.  That gives you a whole day to decorate.

I always color my chocolate with either Wilton or Americolor gel colors, then add highlights with petal dusts (dry brush) once the piece is finished.  For details, like eyes, you can mix petal dusts with vodka or lemon juice.

SandraSmiley Posted 9 Oct 2020 , 3:30am
post #3 of 8

I just checked out the video and it appears that she painted the dark, base color with a wet mixture.  For best results when painting on modeling chocolate, you really need color designed for use on chocolate.  You can use small bits of color mixed with vodka, but on larger areas, the color will separate, due to the oil in the chocolate.  If you want to use regular petal dusts, you can mix them with melted cocoa butter.  It works like oil paint.  

The highlights she is adding on top of the dark base appears to be dry brushed, which works perfectly.

SandraSmiley Posted 9 Oct 2020 , 3:33am
post #4 of 8

By the way, your dragon looks awesome so far!

Aish90 Posted 9 Oct 2020 , 5:02pm
post #5 of 8

Hi thanks so much for your help! I froze is last night :) Do you have any recommendations for the color for chocolate? 

Aish90 Posted 9 Oct 2020 , 5:03pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you

SandraSmiley Posted 9 Oct 2020 , 10:26pm
post #7 of 8

It depends upon what color you want the dragon to be.  If you want it to be a medium brownish green, start with a bit lighter green and use your petal dusts to add darker highlights in browns and greens.  That is just an example.  You can start  with a medium tone of any color you want the finished piece to be.  Really, there is no wrong way.

Aish90 Posted 14 Oct 2020 , 3:34am
post #8 of 8

Thank you!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%