In Search Of Purse Template For Shaping The Actual Cake

Baking By aaabeginner Updated 30 Sep 2020 , 11:17pm by SandraSmiley

aaabeginner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aaabeginner Posted 29 Sep 2020 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 13

I plan to attempt a cake like this due on October 10. I have the LV printouts that will attach to the cake and be the outside of the cake. Does In Search Of Purse Template For Shaping The Actual Cakeanyone have access to a cake template (or simply suggestions) that would make the cake shape for this purse cake? Need some more guidance in exactly how to shape my cake pieces instead of just eyeballing it.

12 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Sep 2020 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 13

i have suggestions -- it seems to be a boxy, taller narrow stack of cakes that's slightly rounded on the top -- what I did was check through pictures of real  louis v purses for sale and used those dimensions listed in the description -- otherwise I hold a ruler up to the computer screen and multiply those figures to get to the size I want -- or i print the picture, and enlarge it to get my pattern, cut it out...

-K8memphis Posted 29 Sep 2020 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 13

like this one -- the dimensions are written right in there:

https://us.louisvuitton.com/eng-us/products/speedy-bandouliere-30-monogram-008775

-K8memphis Posted 29 Sep 2020 , 11:27pm
post #4 of 13

11.8 x 8.3 x 6.7 inches
(Length x Height x Width)

-K8memphis Posted 29 Sep 2020 , 11:31pm
post #5 of 13

it's over eight inches tall so you'll need a board in there halfway up, so for all practical purposes it's a two tier cake -- and if i was doing this i'd do tiers that are a good five inches tall because once i get the fondant on there it loses a little height

-K8memphis Posted 30 Sep 2020 , 12:09am
post #6 of 13

i set my purse cakes on a foam core base so i could embed the dowel (bamboo skewer) into the foamcore -- yours is not too bad but some of those things are eight to ten inches tall and only four or five inches wide -- so i used what i thought was a clever set of dowels -- i used the fat bubble tea straws, a skinny straw and a bamboo skewer -- each one inside the other so it ate up less cake --

the bamboo skewer slid into the skinny straw and was embedded into the foamcore underneath and so went all the way down through the board and up into the top tier to held hold it stable so it didn't tip over -- being so thin and tall -- then i just threaded the cakes down onto the skinny straw covered bamboo skewers -- the bubble tea straw started at the bottom board and stopped at the other board so it held up the weight of the top tier -- so i just had to place small holes in the board between the cakes so the skewer would go through -- 

probably too much blather there but anyway...and this cake had to kept and delivered c.o.l.d. -- all my cakes were -- but anyway...

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 30 Sep 2020 , 12:10am
post #7 of 13

As -K8 suggested, find a picture of the purse and print it out in the actual size you want the end results to be.  Hopefully, you can find a picture of a front view and an end view.  Cut out the picture and hold it up to your cake as a carving guide.  I've not made a purse, but I did it with a guitar and it worked great.

aaabeginner Posted 30 Sep 2020 , 3:09pm
post #9 of 13

Oh duh! Never thought of this

aaabeginner Posted 30 Sep 2020 , 3:14pm
post #10 of 13

ok perfect! Now I just need to learn how to get it to print the sizes I need. Thanks!

aaabeginner Posted 30 Sep 2020 , 3:15pm
post #11 of 13

oh thank you!

-K8memphis Posted 30 Sep 2020 , 8:51pm
post #12 of 13

yes use as many photos that you can find for reference -- for the template use just one photo because the perspective of the object will be different in the other photos -- example in one photo, the bottom of the bag is bigger than the purse itself in another photo-- so find your best one picture for the template -- also you can go to a copy place to get them to enlarge or reduce a copy or maybe your home printer if you have one will do it for you --

there's no duh in not knowing and asking -- best to you

SandraSmiley Posted 30 Sep 2020 , 11:17pm
post #13 of 13

I print out photos to the size of my page, then blow them up on the copier feature of the printer.  It sometimes takes a few guesses to get it exactly the size I want it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%