Dog Cake

Decorating By TERRI.BRUCH Updated 23 Sep 2020 , 4:36pm by SandraSmiley

TERRI.BRUCH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TERRI.BRUCH Posted 21 Sep 2020 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 12

I have to do a dog cake - a golden doodle   I have done a laying one cocker which was pretty easy but the golden doodle is more slender and the hair is differant  --- any ideas?

11 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 21 Sep 2020 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 12

When I do an animal, I try to achieve the basic outline of his body with modeling chocolate, then use my dresden tool and various other pointed tools to create the hair in the appropriate pattern.Dog Cake

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Sep 2020 , 12:51am
post #3 of 12

i like sandra's method -- also if you were gonna pipe the fur-- i think i'd try a round tube and a grass tube and a smooth towel all folded up so i could pat down some of the icing lines as needed -- and i'd have a pearl head pin ready to help imprint --

some people would extrude fondant into spaghetti shape to use -- seems pretty tedious to me though

SandraSmiley Posted 23 Sep 2020 , 1:08am
post #4 of 12

Oh yes, I love the animal cakes with piped fur.  I've only done one and thought my hand was going to fall off!

TERRI.BRUCH Posted 23 Sep 2020 , 4:07am
post #5 of 12

I like this idea but it is going to be eating by mostly little children and they are expecting an icing cake   I only worked with modeling chocolate at the Wilton school before I was an instructor   THe dog is beautiful -- now tonight I got thrown with another wrinkle -- she wants it wo be wearing the halloween pumpkin costume like they bought for the real dog!  Oh my!

-K8memphis Posted 23 Sep 2020 , 1:17pm
post #6 of 12

that kinda makes doing the fur easier though-- at least it's a lot less -- and it gets you way past the correct body shape! I'm picturing him laying/sitting in a pumpkin patch jack_o_lantern amongst kindred spirits, a few little cupcake pumpkins perhaps -- even if the board is a field and you just pipe a few pumpkins and some tendrils for effect -- just a thought

SandraSmiley Posted 23 Sep 2020 , 2:29pm
post #7 of 12

I agree that the pumpkin costume might make it easier.  I do hope you are charging well for this job!  Sounds challenging!

TERRI.BRUCH Posted 23 Sep 2020 , 3:06pm
post #8 of 12

Not charging at all!  THis is for my 10 year old granddaughter   WHen I stopped doing cakes professionally I told my 3 grandchildren they could always have a special cake for their birthday.  THey have alot of fun dreaming of cakes for me to do -- one year my grandson wanted Jimmy Johnsons race car crashing into a wall!  THat took awhile getting all the decals on his car just perfect -- THen one year my granddaughter wanted a Dora cake taller than she was!  Then the next year she was into bubble guppies - cartoon so she wanted bubbble guppies with a live fish in the cake!  Her paresnt had a fit about that one!  After that every year --No live animals please!!!!!

SandraSmiley Posted 23 Sep 2020 , 3:38pm
post #9 of 12

Haha!  

That explains it!  We do a lot of crazy for family!  I bet those kids spend all year trying to dream up a challenge for grandma!

Not knowing how the pumpkin costume looks, I visual a round or pumpkin shaped cake (I actually have a 3D pumpkin cake pan, lol) with the head, legs, and tail sticking out, made of Rice Krispy Treats covered in modeling chocolate.  It would also be very cute as a 2D with the fur piped.  I hope she doesn't decide she wants the dog to walk! 

TERRI.BRUCH Posted 23 Sep 2020 , 3:42pm
post #10 of 12

THe only thing Im having trouble deciding --which tip to use for the fur?   goldendoodles fur is curley -- shall I use the grass tip?  can you suggest another?

-K8memphis Posted 23 Sep 2020 , 4:16pm
post #11 of 12

sounds awesome to have that sweet challenge three times a year! and capital "c" challenge it is! very creative those g'kidlettes -- takin after g'ma of course!

grass tip but there are tips with five, three and two holes in a line too -- you gotta provide the curly-ness 

blush

SandraSmiley Posted 23 Sep 2020 , 4:36pm
post #12 of 12

I would try using the grass tip and sort of curling it around as you pipe.  Might have to tap down the points when done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%