Brow Butter Buttercream

Decorating By saadi Updated 21 Sep 2020 , 9:17pm by SandraSmiley

saadi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saadi Posted 21 Sep 2020 , 1:41am
post #1 of 4

Hello all Im making brown butter buttercream for a cake and I browned a stick of butter and then stuck it in the fridge. It had firmed up again so I waited a while for it to soften and it did kind of but me being in a hurry as always didnt wait until it was like soft...it was still kinda firm. So after whipping another stick of butter and some cream cheese I added the browned butter but now I have little tiny clumps of brown butter in there -_- not cool. My fault. My question is what should i do???????? lol I was thinking maybe I could melt it all over a bain marie...? maybe that would help the clumps melt too...but I also have cream cheese in there so Im not sure if thats a good idea. Is it ok to do melt it a bit if theres cream cheese? There 1 cup of butter and 4 oz (half brick) of cream cheese...bc of the butter  being present would it be ok? 

Thankssss!!! 

3 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 21 Sep 2020 , 1:17pm
post #2 of 4

I've not had this experience, so I cannot answer.  My first thought was to leave it on the counter until it comes to room temperature and rewhip, but remembered it has cream cheese.  I think I would just leave the little flicks of browned butter in there and do better next time.  That's just me.  Hopefully someone else will have some insight.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Sep 2020 , 7:31pm
post #3 of 4

if you want to smooth it out, what always did was to muscle it out with a nice flat spatula blob by blob on a flat surface -- just squish is out is what I did -- 

you are correct, you cannot reheat that creamed cheese -- and while I've never made browned butter icing -- I'm wondering how much of the flavor comes through the tang of the cream cheese?

but I have many many times spent an inordinate amount of time working blobs of various sorts out of my icing spatula-ful by spatula-ful -- agonizing!

or you could try using a sieve or a sifter to push it through -- 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 21 Sep 2020 , 9:17pm
post #4 of 4

I have not tried the smoothing with a spatula on buttercream, but I've spend...as -K8memphis said....an inordinate amount of time smashing gum paste with a rolling pin to get out tiny lumps.  It is hard work, but beats tossing a batch of gum paste and it works perfectly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%