Short, Cracked Cakes Pt. 8

Baking By paws4thoughthandmade Updated 25 Aug 2020 , 11:24pm by SandraSmiley

paws4thoughthandmade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paws4thoughthandmade Posted 25 Aug 2020 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 2

Thanks for the warning! I've never had butter Crisco, and now I won't bother wasting my time and money. Nope, I'm good with plain tastes-like-nothing Crisco. wink

That cake carrier is the same one my grandma used to have. IMHO, that's when things were made well, and made to last (we still have some of her original pots, including the biggest stockpot I've ever seen, and an egg poacher).

When I was younger mom used to have one of the rotary egg beaters you mentioned, too...I was fascinated with that thing, loved helping to mix stuff. I also thought I was special because it was always my job to use the nut chopper. In hindsight, it's amazing how much patience my mom had for my "helping", given that I followed her so close we might as well have been wearing the same clothes...LOL

And yes, banana pudding is the stuff of dreams yum With or without Nilla wafers, if I have banana pudding, no one else is getting any. They can just make their own. (Mmm...banana pudding....now I'm hungry....) 

1 reply
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 25 Aug 2020 , 11:24pm
post #2 of 2

I love that carrier because it locks and has a carry handle on top.  To me, it is so much easier to transport the cakes.  I only have a couple of bowls which were my grandmothers, but they are priceless to me.  The glaze is crackled and stained brown from setting on the back of the wood cook stove.  Sometime in her late 70's, they finally got electricity and she got an electric stove.  Used it once, burned everything because it got hot so much faster, pushed it into the corner of the kitchen and used it to hold canning jars for the rest of her life.

I guess my sister has Mama's rotary egg beater and her nut chopper.  Like you, I've put many a mile on them.  I have been chopping nuts with a chef's knife for years and years.  Not sure I've ever owned a nut chopper.  I was always in the kitchen "helping" too.  Mama never seemed to mind.  When I was about 15, I decided I wanted to actually learn to prepare whole meals and asked Mama to let me do all of the cooking for the summer while school was closed.  She did and I loved it, learned a ton.  I can still remember the patient look on my poor Daddy's face when things didn't come out as well as hers, lol.  He never complained though.

My banana puddings are big enough to feed EVERYONE!  It was one of the things everyone at work always requested when were were having an office lunch.  Made using the old (OLD) recipe from the Nilla Vanilla Wafer's box, I made three batches of custard, love lots of custard, and a comparable amount of bananas and cookies.  Lots of banana pudding and I don't think there was ever a spoonful left.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%