How To Stop Your Cake From Sliding/tipping?

Baking By Misskitty90 Updated 6 days ago by SandraSmiley

Misskitty90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misskitty90 Posted 1 week ago
post #1 of 2

When making a 3 tier cake or even a simple 3 layer cake, how do you keep your cake from leaning slightly and keep the layers straight?  Sometimes my layers want to slide some.   I use dowels too.   Also, what kind of cake recipe do you usually use that is easy to work with?   I use a box cake and add pudding mix to it.  Thanks!

1 reply
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 days ago
post #2 of 2

First of all, be sure your layers are flat, so the next layer will be less likely to slide.  Your frosting/filling could possibly be a little too soft, causing the layers to slip a bit.  Most cakes do not require doweling for a one tier cake.

Stacked, tiered cakes must be dowelled to support the upper tiers with a cake board between each tier.  Only the top tier does not need to be dowelled.

Professionals and hobby bakers alike swear by kakeladi's White Almond Sour Cream Cake, which is a super doctored cake mix.  It has a wonderful texture, is very moist and delicious.  It is sturdy enough to carve and very easy to stack.  Best of all, you can use this recipe to create any flavor cake.  Give it a try, you will NOT be disappointed.

https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%