Shrinking Cake Layers

Baking By MamaGeese Updated 24 Jun 2020 , 11:31pm by MamaGeese

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 23 Jun 2020 , 12:16pm
post #1 of 9

Just lately I noticed my layers would shrink when cooling, was driving me crazy. So I tried two different things, not sure which one worked.

i used a flower nail in center of batter, and then I turned off my AC while the cake was baking so my kitchen would be warm when I took cake out of oven.

well, it worked, beautiful tall layers. I've read on CC before about the flower nail helping, just not sure how, or if it was the warmer kitchen it cooled in.

8 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 23 Jun 2020 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 9

Interesting!

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 23 Jun 2020 , 9:56pm
post #3 of 9

Well, if it’s the AC trick, that ain’t happening here. Too hard for AC to get back up to temp just for the sake tall cake layers. I use to use the rose nail all the time for bigger cakes. But I rarely make bigger cakes anymore. But I’m guessing it was the rose nail

jchuck Posted 23 Jun 2020 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 9

Well, if it’s the AC trick, that ain’t happening here. Too hard for AC to get back up to temp just for the sake tall cake layers. I use to use the rose nail all the time for bigger cakes. But I rarely make bigger cakes anymore. But I’m guessing it was the rose nail

MamaGeese Posted 23 Jun 2020 , 11:05pm
post #5 of 9

I'm just curious HOW the flower nail would have worked. I would love to know that was it, because I'm in GA and trust me I hated turning that AC off!

jchuck Posted 23 Jun 2020 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 9

Oh my ....Georgia, yes must have been a sacrifice turning off the AC!! Honestly, mot bakeries have AC, and I’m sure that has nothing to do with “tall layers”. I bake with AC on, and that doesn’t affect how my cakes rise. The metal nail absorbs heat. Here is an explanation:

When you put your cake in the oven to bake, it's only natural that the outsides will cook faster than the center. But when you put the thumbtack-like flower nail in the middle of your cake pan, it acts as a heat conductor, helping the cake to simultaneously cook from the inside out, as well as the outside in.“ 

MamaGeese Posted 24 Jun 2020 , 1:02am
post #7 of 9

They would rise great, but shrink too much when cooling. Thanks for info. Next I'll try just the nail, and leave AC on...lol

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 24 Jun 2020 , 9:53pm
post #8 of 9

Shrinking Cake Layers

MamaGeese Posted 24 Jun 2020 , 11:31pm
post #9 of 9

That is beautiful!! I baked an 11" red velvet layer today and put 2 flower nails in it. It rose beautifully level and stayed that way! I understand how it helps cook the inside more evenly but I wonder how it keeps the cake from shrinking, like the science behind how that works. As long as it does seem to be working, I guess I need not worry, "how".... Lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%