Making My Own Wedding Cake

Baking By teodoratofan Updated 23 Jun 2020 , 11:11pm by MamaGeese

teodoratofan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teodoratofan Posted 22 Jun 2020 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 4

Hi, 

I plan to make my own wedding cake and I have a couple of questions, hope you can help me <3 

I want to do a 2 tier (10 inch and 8 inch) carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, decorated with fresh flowers. I've watched countless videos on how to frost it and decorate it, but I have no idea how to store it. 

I was thinking of doing it one day ahead and decorate it on the wedding day. Do I store it in the fridge overnight? If I have a clean fridge, do I need to put it in a box? And on the wedding day, if I want to display it, how long can it stay out of fridge? The wedding will be in august, so it will be pretty hot outside. 

Also, do you recommed I put a dowel in the center, besides the straws? 

Thank you! 

3 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 22 Jun 2020 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 4

Cream cheese is very perishable and should not be left unrefrigerated, especially outside.  A safer bet is to do a standard buttercream flavored with cream cheese emulsion or use a mock cream cheese recipe using white balsamic vinegar.  I've used both and they are very good.  

You need to use dowels and a cake board to support your top tier, but I would not use a central dowel for a two tier cake.  Since this is your own wedding, I recommend baking the cake one day, completely decorating it the next (less the flowers) and keep it refrigerated a couple of days prior to the wedding.  The cake will keep just fine and it frees your time to prepare for your special day.  Once the cake has been frosted, it is not necessary to keep it boxed in the refrigerator, but it is handy, if you have the room.

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 23 Jun 2020 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 4

I agree, I would never use cream cheese for wedding cake, it will get too soft and just look sloppy even at room temperature. Good luck

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 23 Jun 2020 , 11:11pm
post #4 of 4

I agree, I would never use cream cheese for wedding cake, it will get too soft and just look sloppy even at room temperature. Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%