Sculpting Tools

Decorating By KatyN Updated 5 Jun 2020 , 7:36pm by jchuck

KatyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatyN Posted 31 May 2020 , 10:48pm
post #1 of 9

Can anyone recommend a decent set of tools, reasonably priced, for working with fondant?

Thanks

8 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 31 May 2020 , 11:11pm
post #2 of 9

I do a lot of sculpting, so have several different types tools, but Sugarworks Sugar Shapers are my favorite.

https://www.amazon.com/Innovative-Sugarworks-Decorating-Sugarcraft-Chocolate/dp/B00WQUOFOE

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 31 May 2020 , 11:12pm
post #3 of 9

All I have is the Wilton set which works pretty well and doesn't cost that much.  I also use a pizza cutter for cutting excess fondant from around the bottom of the cake.  That being said, I have also been known to "borrow" from my hubby's tools if he has something I think will work better than what I have. Although the time I spend cleaning them before I use them kinda takes the fun out of it. But the Wilton is basically about all you'll need.

SandraSmiley Posted 31 May 2020 , 11:16pm
post #4 of 9

My very favorite sculpting tool is the instrument intended for pushing back cuticles from my manicure kit.  I've had the kit for like 50 years and never used it for anything until I started making chocolate models.  Another favorite is a spoon.  I love to smooth surfaces with the back of a spoon.

KatyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatyN Posted 4 Jun 2020 , 11:35pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks everyone!

SandraSmiley Posted 5 Jun 2020 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 9

You are very welcome!

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 5 Jun 2020 , 6:11pm
post #7 of 9

KatyN I also have  sugar shapers. A great tip is to look for tools for shaping clay. They basically work the same on fondant, and many times are cheaper. That’s where I got my sugar shapers, at a art supply store in the clay section. Got several from the clay section at Michael’s (if you’re American) here in Canada. 

SandraSmiley Posted 5 Jun 2020 , 7:19pm
post #8 of 9

Now that you mention clay tools, June, I learned everything I know about modeling chocolate sculpting from watching YouTube videos on clay sculpting.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 5 Jun 2020 , 7:36pm
post #9 of 9

Yup, me too Sandra. Many of the clay tutorials are very in depth. Certainly translate to modelling chocolate and fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%