Making Red Icing??

Baking By culinarilyobsessed Updated 8 Oct 2005 , 5:34pm by Gingoodies

culinarilyobsessed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
culinarilyobsessed Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 4:58am
post #1 of 7

Ok, now I know red & black are basically the 2 hardest colors to make when it comes to coloring white icing. Well black doesn't seem to be hard for me, it just takes lots of it. Red on the other hand is my struggle. More often than not I seem to end up with really really dark pink, or maybe I'm just being overly paranoid?? I've tried adding a tiny amount of black but then I end up with maroon. I use the gel coloring. I've tried the Wilton Red Red & the Christmas red & neither seems much different to me.

Does anybody have any suggestions I might try in the future??

6 replies
irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 9:23am
post #2 of 7

Good morning, I was having the same problem until my teacher told me my problem was this. I was using the 1/2 crisco 1/2 butter buttercream icing recipe, so she told me that the butter does something to the paste gel and to go back to the all crisco recipe and it worked for me. I also use ChefMaster coloring instead of the Wilton. So when I decorate a cake I use the 1/2 crisco 1/2 butter recipe to frost and then the all crisco to use for my coloring. Hope this works for youicon_smile.gif

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 9:24am
post #3 of 7

Oh I forgot to mention it doesn't take much coloring at all to get your redicon_smile.gif

Fishercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fishercakes Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 7

I have ended up using about 1/2 to 3/4 a jar of Wilton No-Taste Red in order to get a true red. Be sure to let your frosting rest for about an hour after mixing for it to come to its true hue. I haven't really had that much of a problem with getting the red or the black. It just takes a lot of coloring and you have to let it sit and rest at room temp for at least an hour. Plus as you are piping your decorations, I have found that the color darkens/brightens from the heat of your hand in the bag.

My frosting in the bag is also a little different of a shade when I go to refill the bag. Confused

Hope this helps!! I use the No-Taste red otherwise it gets a bitter taste with the Chrismas red or Red-Red.

Kristina

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 7

..also, using milk in place of water in you icing helps you get a darker color. Have you tried Americolor...fabulous!!

icingqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingqueen Posted 8 Oct 2005 , 12:01am
post #6 of 7

I read somewhere that if you tint your icing pink first (I use Wilton's burgundy) and then use the red it will darken to a perfect red. I tried it & for the first time, I got a nice brilliant, vibrant color. I also let my icing sit overnight to get it to darken. Hope this helps!

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 8 Oct 2005 , 5:34pm
post #7 of 7

I must agree with MrsMissy.. I have just switched to Americolor gels and they seem to be much better than the Wilton especially for the darker colors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%