Doing Business In New Jersey

Business By MomRocks Updated 15 Nov 2005 , 1:51am by cuillere

MomRocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomRocks Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 2:57am
post #1 of 4

My friend and I are looking to start a business up together (cake decorating, cookies, etc.) and we are trying to find out exactly what we're dealing with in New Jersey. I have been searching around the state's website, but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. Does anyone know exactly who we need to be talking to (the state vs. the county vs. the town we're operating out of)? icon_confused.gif

Any help is appreciated!! icon_smile.gif Thanks!!

3 replies
Godiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godiva Posted 16 Oct 2005 , 2:00am
post #2 of 4

You can start with the Department of Agriculture in NJ. From there on they should be able to direct you to your local township, if in fact it is necessary.

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 4

Just wondering what you found about a cake business in NJ. I am also in NJ and am interested.


cuillere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuillere Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 1:51am
post #4 of 4

If you are starting a business from home, all the NJ townships require you to get your space(kitchen) in order, they will ask you to build a separate kitchen from your house that has it's own bathroom and entrance, I suggested my basement and they said it's a good idea as long as it's a walkout basement. The health department will give you all the details from where to put your sinks to ... God knows what else. After you set up the kitchen to their requirements they will do a final follow up, done once a year after that, then they'll say it's OK go to your township, where you get permits and all things of that nature. The township will give you your permits, you pay a small fee then you are in business. How tedious is that!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%