Problems With Gold Lustre Dust

Decorating By Mmmelliott Updated 18 May 2020 , 2:12pm by SandraSmiley

Mmmelliott Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mmmelliott Posted 18 May 2020 , 2:18am
post #1 of 3

Problems With Gold Lustre Dust

Hi everyone, I decorated this cake for my grand daughter but I ran into some issues.  First, the gold lustre dust mixed with vodka wouldn’t stick to the fondant.  I wonder if that was because I had shortening on my hands when I was smoothing out the fondant?  I ended up just brushing the lustre dust just dry onto the cake., but it doesn’t look as good as it should.    Second, I also had a hard time writing the name on the cake because the brush seemed to only make wide lines and not skinny even though I think it was a small brush.  I had to do this dry too because of the vodka mixture not sticking.  I used fresh fondant if that might have been the problem.  It hadn’t dried overnight or anything. 

2 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 18 May 2020 , 3:33am
post #2 of 3

I've never had a problem with my "paint" sticking to the fondant, but I don't use shortening on my hands either.  That could very well be the problem.  I would suggest writing on a plaque and applying the plaque to the cake, rather than trying to paint directly on the cake.  If you continue to have problems getting your paint to stick, you can mix your dusts with cocoa butter instead of vodka and it should adhere very well.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 18 May 2020 , 2:12pm
post #3 of 3

bump

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%