Grrrr - How Do You Do This!?!??!

Decorating By aandsmommy Updated 31 Jan 2007 , 5:47am by Janette

aandsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aandsmommy Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 13

OK, I am so frustrated. I just started selling a few cakes here and there and am working on getting my kitchen certified. The secretary at DDs school asked for a cake for her son's bday, so I said I would do one. I gave her a price, stupidly (trust me, I learned my lesson), before I knew what she wanted. She got a two layer 11x15 cake with chocolate buttercream filling and buttercream icing, with a Thomas FBCT for $35. She left an envelope for me today with ONLY $25 in it! I am sooo mad. First off, the cake should have been more like $60. I sent off an email saying "Hi XXX. I received the envelope today...thank you. The price was actually $35, rather than $25. Whatever way is easiest to receive the rest is fine with me.
Thanks again for your order."

Anyhow, waiting for her to reply, but needed to vent here. I posted the pic in my photos.

Thanks again.
Anita[/img]

12 replies
aandsmommy Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 13

Update....now I feel like an a$$...I got the following reply...
Anita...sorry abou that! I am in Ohio with my dad who is not well. I will take care of it when I get back if that is ok with you.

Anita

KonfectionKonnection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KonfectionKonnection Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 13

I sympathize--Whenever I try to speak up for myself (which is not often), I seem to pick the wrong times! (And if I don't speak up, then I'm busy kicking myself for not saying anything.) icon_rolleyes.gif

On the bright side, since you worded your message nicely, she probably didn't think anything of it.

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 13

Well you live and you learn. Great job on the cake... Next time you know to wait to see what the person wants before you give a price.

Good luck.

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 13

aandsmommy- I just looked your gallery!! Great cakes. When you make fondant figures how do you stick them together? ie...arms legs etc? I'm very new. Thanks!!

jillchap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillchap Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 8:08pm
post #6 of 13

Anita,
You've got to do what you've got to do! I know it's cliche, but it's true...
If you let her underpay you for the cake this time, the next time, she'd be expecting the same. I thought your email was polite and cordial and that she would be awfully silly to take offense... your cake turned out so great and she was probably really glad to get it!
Cheers,
jill

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 8:32pm
post #7 of 13

Next time I think it's perfectly legitimate to say (once you hear what they are asking for) ...oh that price was for such and such. If you wanted this and that then it's $dollars extra.

Good for you for standing up and asking for the other $10. Don't feel bad about the timing either. You had no way of knowing. Just reply Thank you and hope her father get's well soon or something.

flavacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flavacakes Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 9:13pm
post #8 of 13

I don't think you should worry about it at all. You sounded very nice in your email so I'm sure she won't think anything bad of you! You did the right thing. thumbs_up.gif

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 3:02am
post #9 of 13

Good job replying right away, you did just the right thing! Beautiful work on the cake!

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 3:08am
post #10 of 13

Great cake! I'm sure other things were on her mind. You sounded very nice! Don't sweat it!

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 3:13am
post #11 of 13

Cash up front, or it's not "a deal"!

aandsmommy Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 5:33am
post #12 of 13

Thanks for the tips...I definitely need to get more of a backbone for this business. Sometimes I need a good kick in the you know where.

Michelle, for the fondant figures, I just use a little dab of water for the arms and legs and clothing...and then let them dry. For attaching the head to the body, I either use a toothpick or a piece of spaghetti (to keep it all edible). Does that help?

Thanks again everyone...
Anita

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 5:47am
post #13 of 13

Sounds like she didn't hear you correctly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%