Beach Theme Questions

Decorating By KatyN Updated 24 Mar 2020 , 3:35pm by SandraSmiley

KatyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatyN Posted 14 Mar 2020 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 10

So I’m going to do a beach theme cake...flip flops carved out of cake, and I want to add some little elements: sunglasses, maybe a fun cocktail glass.

Questions:

1-I’m trying to decide on the best medium for the smaller accoutrements.  Possibly Rice Krispie treats for the cocktail glass.  I’m stuck on the sunglasses.

2-Debating between using fondant or modeling chocolate for covering the outside of the glass.  

Any ideas would be so helpful.  I have time to work on this before the cake is due so lots of time to practice.  I haven’t been able to find anything helpful online for making such pieces.

Thanks so much!!

9 replies
jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 15 Mar 2020 , 12:56am
post #2 of 10

Will the cocktail glass be starting? If so, probably rct’s. Then it won’t be so heavy. As for the sunglasses, I would do modelling chocolate. I made a pair from fondant, and glasses developed cracks. And I couldn’t smooth out the rough finish from cutting them out. You won’t have that trouble with modeling chocolate.

KatyN Posted 15 Mar 2020 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 10

What do you mean, starting?  As in, a centerpiece?

my mind is blanking - what’s RCT?  My brother is an engineer so my mind goes to different places.

KatyN Posted 15 Mar 2020 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 10

What do you mean, starting?  As in, a centerpiece?

my mind is blanking - what’s RCT?  My brother is an engineer so my mind goes to different places.

jchuck Posted 15 Mar 2020 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 10

Sorry....darn autocorrect!!!! I meant STANDING!!! Ha Ha. And rct’s: rice crispy treats. Just easier to use the short form/acronym. 

jchuck Posted 15 Mar 2020 , 5:46pm
post #6 of 10

KatyN   Hopefully the image of my cake will show up on CC when you click the link. If you look closely, the glasses have many little cracks. If I did another pair, would definitely be done in modelling chocolate. 

https://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3410740/lennys-2-birthday-cake

doz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doz Posted 15 Mar 2020 , 10:22pm
post #7 of 10

how about melting some Jolly Ranchers to get the lens of the sunglasses and make the frames out of fondant or choc.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 16 Mar 2020 , 2:27am
post #8 of 10

I would either form the glass from Rice Krispy Treats covered in fondant or use florist oasis (the soft, green foam) covered in fondant.  I would also make the glasses from fondant - roll out ropes of fondant to the diameter you want and shape it into the glasses.  Let the individual pieces dry thoroughly before trying to assemble.  

My experience with melting Jolly Rogers and using them for anything is that they melt very, very quickly and I am in an air conditioned house.  Gelatin would be my choice for the lens or colored cellophane, if it doesn't matter that it is not edible.

SandraSmiley Posted 16 Mar 2020 , 2:29am
post #9 of 10

If you have experience with modeling chocolate, you could try making the glasses with it.  I have a lot of experience with it and modeling chocolate would not be my choice for the glasses.  If you are not familiar with its particular properties, it can be very frustrating.

SandraSmiley Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 3:35pm
post #10 of 10

KatyN, if you want to reply, start a new post and refer back to this one.  There is some restriction to new members replying to existing posts, even  if it is their own.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%