Rhubarb Pie Advice

Baking By finglas Updated 24 Mar 2020 , 6:09pm by jchuck

finglas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
finglas Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone, first post on here and I am just looking for some advice. Hoping someone can help because I'm going crazy googling this and finding nothing. 

I am looking to make old style rhubarb pies. The best way I can describe them is that they are like "scotch" pies but of course filled with rhubarb instead of meat. They are often coated with a glaze on the top too. I can't find a recipe anywhere and I'm not sure how to make the pastry. I'm also not sure about how the glaze is made.....

I appreciate this will probably be quite a specific request and perhaps they aren't sold outwith Scotland but I thought I would ask just incase. 

Thank you all,

Jamie

5 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 6

I am sure this is not the same thing, finglas, because this is an American recipe and has a double crust instead of a glaze.  In the US, we usually mix strawberries and rhubarb together in pies instead of just rhubarb.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/9420-straight-up-rhubarb-pie

SandraSmiley Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 6

Being new to the site, you will probably not be able to reply to the post.  If not and you have other questions, just start a new post and refer back to this one.

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 11 Mar 2020 , 10:00pm
post #4 of 6

Bump

SandraSmiley Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 3:53pm
post #5 of 6

bump

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 6:09pm
post #6 of 6

What you’re referring to is a Pastie or if Scottish, like my Mom was, a Birdie pie. I’ve posted below a recipe. Although this is from Australia, it’s the same pie. Now my Mom made rhubarb pies all the time, but never in a Birdie pie. s a matter of facts, Mom never put any sweet fillings in her Birdie pies. They we’re always strictly meat, or meat and potatoes. I have made them often when I had leftover pastry. Not enough to make anything with, so I made a Pastie/Birdie. So you can do as the recipe I posted, just substitute with rhubarb filling.

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/bridie-pies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%