Friday Night Cake Club For 01-10-20

Decorating By Laetia Updated 2 days ago by Laetia

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 11 Jan 2020 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 12

Opening up another session of FNCC! Everyone is welcome to share what they have been up to this week, post photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if you are able to.

I hope everyone had a nice caking week!

Julie

11 replies
Anneliese671 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anneliese671 Posted 11 Jan 2020 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 12

Made a Carousel cake for a customer. Wow, this was one of those times where I almost cried every step of the way. I followed Jessica Harris' carousel cake tutorial on bluprint called "Clean & Simple Birthday Cakes". The tutorial and subsequent cake making and decorating were NOT clean and NOT simple. Agh! I'm looking on the bright side and listing what I learned, because in the end I did learn a lot. I made the biggest cake I've made so far and it turned out lovely (a 12 x 12 2" 2-layer cake so about 3 or 3.5" tall), and I learned the following techniques/tried the following: making chocolate ganache for the first time, using wax paper transfer method, using a central support (2" pipe), trying a new rice krispie treat sculpting recipe, sculpting a cone, using rice krispie "cakes" as part of a cake, covering a cone (so simple but without the tutorial would have been a mess)....I'm sure there's more. I ended up getting only 3 hrs sleep the night before it was due so my time management was off for this one. Things that went wrong: I sculpted a cone with my hands after I bought the wrong size funnel and it was awful (after which I bought the right size), I got the heights wrong on several rice krispie pieces (not clear on the tutorial) and had to re do them, I had to cut the 2" central pipe 3 times to get it right, I tried to write neatly on the name plate (but I think it's horrible), tried to follow her tutorial on how to transfer a name using pencil graphite at 1:00am in the morning and it didn't work, very last second I stuck a bow above the name plate with a 50/50 mix of corn syrup/water and it dripped onto the name plate and I had to remake it, got the cake to the location and 2 horses fell apart...I had no tools...managed to stick them together using a tiny bit of fondant mixed with a drop of water.....boy am I glad it's over.. Friday Night Cake Club For 01-10-20

Anneliese671 Posted 12 Jan 2020 , 12:04am
post #3 of 12

Friday Night Cake Club For 01-10-20

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 12 Jan 2020 , 1:07am
post #4 of 12

Looking at these pictures, you would never be able to tell that you had one bit of trouble.  Everything about it is beautiful and give yourself a pat on the back and a good rest!

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 1 week ago
post #5 of 12

That’s fantastic Anneliese671.

I made this piano cake. I struggled a bit with the figure but loved making the piano itself.Friday Night Cake Club For 01-10-20

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 1 week ago
post #6 of 12

You did an awesome job, Louglou!  Your little model is beautiful!

Anneliese671 Posted 1 week ago
post #7 of 12

Thank you Sandra and Louglou.

Maybe you have some answers to these questions:

* what do you use to stick pieces on to fondant? I always used tylose mixed with a little warm water, or candy melts. Jessica Harris uses a 50/50 mix of corn syrup and water.

* do you create pieces to stick on ahead of time and let them dry in the shape they will be placed (like a curved surface....dry on the outside of the round cake pan for example), or do you freeze them early and then partially thaw and press into place?

* do you make your cakes ahead of time and freeze? I found that they turn soggy when I do that so I made the 12 x 12 double layer cake the day before serving (which adds added pressure of course)

* do you make decorations out of candy clay? Do you favor it over fondant/fondant mixed with tylose and why?

* do you like using Michelle Foster's fondant or marshmallow fondant and why?

These are just a few of the questions that came up when I was making the cake!

post #8 of 12

And how would you have done the name plate? It was too small for me to use tappits. I hate hand writing it, I think it looks so messy (of course, if you read my post, it was done at the very last second for the second time due to a silly mistake on my part!) The first one I did however wasn't that much better. I tried to look up a free font site and searched "Carousel" and "circus" font but didn't find any free font sites. 

post #9 of 12

Louglou I love your piano cake (I am a pianist and piano teacher....cake making is my 2nd love ). Did you make the bench after you placed the piano? 

I have a tool suggestion for you if you don't already have one. It's the pastry cutter in the attached set. Very sharp. I used it to cut all the strips out for the square cake sides in the carousel cake. I found it indispensable. Jessica Harris used her pasta cutter, but I didn't have one of those. It must have taken you a long time to cut all the keys on the piano. I think I'm going to use that border in a lot of cakes going forwards.

post #10 of 12

Pastry cutterFriday Night Cake Club For 01-10-20

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 1 week ago
post #11 of 12

Hi Anneliese. I’ll try to answer some of your questions. 

I use tylose mixed with warm water to stick fondant. 

I sometimes make pieces ahead and dry them on a curved surface. I have also cut shapes out and covered them in clingfilm/wrap to keep them soft till I need them. Never tried freezing but i guess it would work in the same way. 

I always freeze my cakes. Just make sure to thaw them while still wrapped so the condensation goes in the wrapping not the cake. I sometimes cover cakes in buttercream before freezing to help me get ahead. 

Never tried candy clay. Is it the same as modelling chocolate. I used that once but struggled with how soft it was when warm. 

I just use shop bought fondant. 

i struggle with handwriting too. I have printed out letters and copied them with a soft pencil on the back of the printout and then traced over the front onto fondant so that the pencil shows up. Hope that makes sense. Sometimes I just hand write and hope for the best. I think your writing turned out really well. 

I did place the bench first and then couldn’t get the figure in place so had to remove the legs and try to squeeze them under the piano. It was a bit tricky. I added the arms and hands last. 

I have a little ribbon cutter tool but the white keys were just a single strip of fondant with the lines pressed in. The black keys were so small that I just cut them by hand. 

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 2 days ago
post #12 of 12

Anneliese671 your caroussel cake is super lovely. It ended up beautifuly even though you had so much trouble making it.

Louglou such a pretty cake! I love the wood grain on the piano and how you did the hair of your pianist. Very very pretty!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%