Help To Name My Business

Decorating By kidscakelady Updated 30 Jan 2007 , 6:38pm by Michelle104

kidscakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidscakelady Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 17

I am REALLY stumped as to what to possibly name my new business. The health inspector is coming tomorrow morning to check out the kitchen and bring the paper work. I need to have a name for the application.

Any ideas out there? THe business will be run out of my parent's home in the Berkshires. Mom already has a business there called Angels in the Attic- we used to have a craft store called Country Crafts.

Some suggestions already made were:
Sinful Sweets
M-n-Em Edibles to sound like M-and-M(my initials are MNand my daughters are M and E)
Heavenly Edibles

I will be doing cakes and cookies and other home baked items.

Any help would be greatly appreciated from all of you wonderfully creative people.
THanks
MN

16 replies
SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 17

1st of all GREAT for you.. wish I could stumble upon something and not have to fight the legality tape... at any rate some more ideas are:

A Confectioner's Kitchen
AngelCakes
Cakes and Cookies Galore
Sweet Heavens'

Maybe none of those sound great, but I always like responding to these posts.. I like the idea of going off of your given name... my middle name is Suzzanne and so is my daughter's, my grandmother called me Suzie Q growing up.. hence Southern Suzie's Sweets.. though not legally coined, it is my trade name icon_smile.gif

Good luck!

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 17

I, too had a difficult time naming my business. Here is what I considered:

Sugar Trends
Confection Connection
Love At First Bite
Sugar Mama's
Sweet Treats
The Cakery
Cakes by ....
Cake Diva

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 17

I would consider your long term goals when naming your business - not just coming up with something cute.

I had a name for my business, had business cards printed up, domain name, website designed, etc. But I realized that my long term goals were to get MY name out there - not just my business name. I'd like to write a book, or get on one of those food network challenges (Hey, it could happen!), and the only way to get my name out there, was to actually USE it. I "brand-ed" myself and became "Brandi Bakes!"

Silly? Sure... but you'll remember my name, right? icon_biggrin.gif

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 4:36pm
post #5 of 17

Maybe:
1. Sweets for my Sweet.
2. Home Baked Heaven
3. Piece (or Bite or Slice,etc) of Sweetness
4. Home Slice (ha ha, from the "street" talk, whas up homeslice, ha ha)
Good luck with everything, and congratulations

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 4:44pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandiBakes

I would consider your long term goals when naming your business - not just coming up with something cute.

I had a name for my business, had business cards printed up, domain name, website designed, etc. But I realized that my long term goals were to get MY name out there - not just my business name. I'd like to write a book, or get on one of those food network challenges (Hey, it could happen!), and the only way to get my name out there, was to actually USE it. I "brand-ed" myself and became "Brandi Bakes!"

Silly? Sure... but you'll remember my name, right? icon_biggrin.gif

Brandicakes brings up a very good point. I went with the name "Classic Cakes and Catering" and my tag line is "when you gotta have a classic" but in hindsight I wish I would have branded my name. There is already someone out there by the name of Cakes By Rhonda but I could have still used it since we are in different states.

I did, however, choose "Classic Cakes" because when I think of class or classic I think of elegance, grace, sophistication and that is what I want people to remember about my product. Just my two cents.

BrandisBaked Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 4:49pm
post #7 of 17

In case my previous message was confusing - I used to be "Ganache Panache" (I do chocolates too). And then switched to my current name after a year. Hopefully, this name will stick. I'd hate to have yet ANOTHER website designed, and all the hassle associated with a name change. LOL!

kidscakelady Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 4:53pm
post #8 of 17

These are all great ideas. I also agree with BreandiBakes about using my name the only thing is... my name is kind of a "mouthful" (pardon the pun) my first name is Mary-Noelle. Everyone knows me by this- I very rarely ever have to use my last name. I want to be able to market to the moms at school and to doing cakes for children. I have good connections at most of the area schools , on the PTA at our school, was on the board of directors at the local preschool and I used to teach for a collaborative of four schools. So...... with that being said........ any ideas?

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 4:53pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidscakelady

M-n-Em Edibles to sound like M-and-M(my initials are MNand my daughters are M and E)
Heavenly Edibles

MN

I think a name with the word "edibles" kinda sounds like a naughty shop. lol icon_redface.gificon_smile.gif
But I like the idea of using your initials in some way! icon_biggrin.gif It makes it more personal...maybe even "Mom N Em's"? Sorry, I'm not much help in the name department, having trouble myself.

kidscakelady Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 4:58pm
post #10 of 17

[quote="mdutcher"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidscakelady

Heavenly Edibles

MN

I think a name with the word "edibles" kinda sounds like a naughty shop. lol icon_redface.gificon_smile.gif

TOO FUNNY!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

kidscakelady Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 4:59pm
post #11 of 17

OOPS! I messed up adding the quote but it's still funny.

BrandisBaked Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 5:04pm
post #12 of 17

I didn't necessarily mean using your name - I just thought you should consider your long term goals. If you want to expand into something else, make sure your business name will reflect that also - or is vague enough to cover whatever you might want to do 'next'. Changing 'identities' is expensive.

kidscakelady Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 5:07pm
post #13 of 17

I agree and totally understand where you are coming from.Still kind of wish I had an easy/simply name that I could encorporate into something catchy.

BrandisBaked Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 5:12pm
post #14 of 17

Your name doesn't seem complicated - in fact, it seems pretty elegant. I don't know why you have a problem using it.

mdelmauro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdelmauro Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 5:19pm
post #15 of 17

If everyone knows you by your first name already, how about:

Mary-Noelle's Confections
Mary-Noelle's Sinful Sweets
Mary-Noelle's Sweet Shop
Mary-Noelle's Bakery

kidscakelady Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 5:35pm
post #16 of 17

BrandiBakes- first of all... Your cakes are FANTASTIC!! What a craftswoman you are! WOW!!!

Maybe you guys are right-I kind of like Mary-Noelle's Sinful Sweets and I have only ever come across anyone else with my name once in my whole 40 years-

Thanks for all of the help- other ideas are of course still welcome-
THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 6:38pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelmauro

If everyone knows you by your first name already, how about:

Mary-Noelle's Confections
Mary-Noelle's Sinful Sweets
Mary-Noelle's Sweet Shop
Mary-Noelle's Bakery

I love the idea of using your whole name! It IS beautiful and elegant! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%