Can I Use Instant Coffee In Chocolate Cake? Note: I Want To Enhance Flavor Not Have A Coffee Tasting Cake.

Baking By wind09 Updated 24 Nov 2019 , 10:04pm by inthekitchen2

wind09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wind09 Posted 24 Nov 2019 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 3

This is the dessert I want to make for Thanksgiving. It will be served at work.

The chocolate cake I will make.It's also on the back of the Hershey container.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/17...hocolate-cake/

I keep hearing that coffee enhances chocolate so I wanted to try that. Where's the recipe asks for one cup of water I was going to do one cup of instant coffee instead.

This is the instant coffee I want to use.

https://www.folgerscoffee.com/coffee...instant-coffee

Also since it's instant and not brewed should I lower the dosage? For example instead of 1 cup should I use one 1 tablespoon instead?

The instructions on the Folgers says I can use water or milk. If I do this I will use milk. Is that fine since the cake ingredients also asks for milk? Will all of this be to much milk going on in the cake?

I'm wary of using coffee though because as I've stated I want enhancement of the chocolate not a coffee tasting cake. I was going to make a smaller test cake,but I thought I'll ask here first to see if I'm wasting my time and should just go on ahead and add water like the recipe states.

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Nov 2019 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 3

you can just dissolve the crystals in the liquid that the recipe already calls for -- milk dampens down the chocolateness -- I would do the recipe as written and add as many crystals as you want to the liquid

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 24 Nov 2019 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 3

I use instant coffee in my chocolate cakes. I add 1/2 TBSP crystals to my 1 1/3 C water. Stir it in the water, and then add to batter. I'm sure you could do the same with milk. No coffee flavor. Everyone raves about my chocolate cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%