Open House Cake - When Do You Cut It????

Baking By ErinAshley18 Updated 25 Nov 2019 , 5:24pm by -K8memphis

ErinAshley18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ErinAshley18 Posted 17 Nov 2019 , 10:40pm
post #1 of 9

Hi all - we are having an open house for a 90th birthday party. Guests will come and go for a several hour period.  It's possible neighbors could drop in for twenty minutes. We have been talking about making a big impressive show piece cake (it's a 90th birthday!!)  (Just to be clear - this is not a paying customer request - it's my family member turning 90.  I've been "hired" by the family to come up with a plan and this is my gift to them - so if I come up with a good plan for handling this, people will be say "great!").   I'm having trouble working through how huge impressive cakes work at an open house.  Unlike a wedding or a birthday party, people do not stay the whole time, have a chance to admire the cake, and then gather around for a moment where it is cut and consumed.   It seems weird to spend the hours making something so elaborate, and then either

1) have the guests who come early not get to taste it because we don't want to cut it until more people have seen it, or

2) begin cutting and offering cake to the first person who arrives, but then have most of the guests not get to view it.  We've talked about making a showpiece cake and accompanying sheet cake to cut, but we don't love the idea of having to make double the cake, and many people have asked "then what's the point of the show piece? Who eats it? We just have this huge cake left at the end?"  We don't really like like the idea of making a cake just for show and not consumption.  I've thought of something like a couple different kinds of cupcakes where you can still see an example of each style even as some of each get eaten over the course of the afternoon, but I do not have as much experience with cupcakes and am worried I won't find the whole cupcake display as aesthetically impactful and it will also take longer.   Has anyone baked big fancy cakes for an open house style party who has an idea I am missing?

8 replies
bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 18 Nov 2019 , 2:57am
post #2 of 9

Can you make the tiers so that they easily come apart and then cut one cake at a time through the event?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Nov 2019 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 9

you kind of answered yourself -- make the wow cake smaller than the expected number of guests and cut from sheets or something first -- a big wow cake for an  open house is not compatible actually -- right? make smaller bite size beautiful outrageously wonderfully decorated cupcakes -- or make the big one a dummy or most of it a dummy

-K8memphis Posted 18 Nov 2019 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 9

sounds like a lovely lovely family event -- congrats to you

-K8memphis Posted 18 Nov 2019 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 9

how many servings to you wanna make

ErinAshley18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ErinAshley18 Posted 18 Nov 2019 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 9

We are thinking around 100??

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 18 Nov 2019 , 7:48pm
post #7 of 9

How about a display table with a tiny jewel of a cake (not really tiny, maybe 8" buttom tier with a 5" top tier) and lots of different kinds of cupcakes from which to choose.  Look at the Pinterest page for ideas on gorgeous displays.  Some of them even feature multiple cakes.  They do make a powerful statement.

weluvpiggies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weluvpiggies Posted 18 Nov 2019 , 8:13pm
post #8 of 9

My son's graduation party was like that.  I just put a note on the invitation when the cake would be cut.  But, the other ideas offered seem really great too!  I like the smaller cake along with the idea of the cupcakes too.  :)

-K8memphis Posted 25 Nov 2019 , 5:24pm
post #9 of 9

hey — looks like last call — the lights are flickering here —

let’s meet up on  “keep calm and cake on” on fb

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%