Terminator

Decorating By tmelrose Updated 1 week ago by SandraSmiley

tmelrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmelrose Posted 8 Nov 2019 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 9

Suggestions on doing the Terminator skull for a cake.  Its tricky being silver.  Any suggestions appreciated.

Terminator

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Nov 2019 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 9

If you don’t want to eat it or would be sure to carefully remove the silver part you can buy powders to get it that shiney  color  — 

but I just thought of something — or get edible silver — it’s not as shiny— you could get the shine with gum atabic and water brushed on — 

i don’t know about the specific latest brands that are the best — I will leave that to greater minds than mine — but be super careful about not feeding something toxic to anyone — 

it is way better to have a little less shine and for the sculpture to be edible because it is food — 

i’ll try to put picture in next post...

-K8memphis Posted 9 Nov 2019 , 12:00am
post #3 of 9

Terminator

tmelrose Posted 9 Nov 2019 , 12:49am
post #4 of 9

Thanks, no it doesn’t need to be edible.  What method would you use to try and replicate this? Frozen buttercream transfer? Modeling chocolate? Color run? Chocolate transfer? Gumpaste/fondant?

-K8memphis Posted 9 Nov 2019 , 1:06am
post #5 of 9

because it is cold here now I would use  modeling choco — so much more forgiving than fondant — you’re doing 3-d yes?

i used to use nu silver for the really shiney look but they have all changed now so I don’t know the best one — but hopefully someone smart will chime in or Alan at global sugar can tell you — or go to evil cake genius dot com

-K8memphis Posted 9 Nov 2019 , 1:09am
post #6 of 9

the video ate a couple links — i’ll repost:

this to use as a dust or make into paint:

https://evilcakegenius.com/silver-powder.html

this is is the paint already made:

https://evilcakegenius.com/edible-arts-silver-paint.html

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 1 week ago
post #7 of 9

I would make the basic shape from Rice Krispy Treats, cover with melted chocolate or ganache, then use modeling chocolate to make the surface details.  My favorite silver is CK Imperial Silver, but it is not edible.  For the most shiny color, I mix the dust with vodka and paint on a couple of coats and when thoroughly dried, dust with the powder a final time.

I would use large sugar pearls for the eyes and make the teeth from gum paste or fondant mixed with tylose, made in advance and allowed to dry.

tmelrose Posted 1 week ago
post #8 of 9

Thank you for the suggestions!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 1 week ago
post #9 of 9

You are very welcome.  You could also use styrofoam or florist oasis as a base, since the topper will not be eaten.

Best of luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%