Tinting Gel Color When Painting On Cake

Decorating By tesstkitchen Updated 6 Nov 2019 , 1:11am by SandraSmiley

tesstkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesstkitchen Posted 1 Nov 2019 , 2:38am
post #1 of 5

Hey all!

Got a question for those who frequently paint on cakes!

I need to create an ombre watercolor cake next weekend and have pretty much decided that I will paint on crusted buttercream. (I am a firm believer in Swiss buttercream, and haven't made American in years! But from what I've read it looks like crusting is the way to go.) My client is very much into the brushed watercolor ombre look, so I have opted for painting instead of marbling buttercream. Please feel free to suggest other techniques!

My question is: How do I create other shades of blue when creating this ombre scheme?

Since I will be using straight gel, I can't lighten it with frosting. Do I use white gel color? More vodka? Please please let me know your thoughts! I am going to do a practice cake this weekend so I'm confident when doing the bigger cake next week.

Thank you so much!

4 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 2 Nov 2019 , 3:06am
post #2 of 5

Why can you not lighten gel color with white. I use Wilton gel colors all they time and they make a white color, very concentrated, which I use to soften straight gel colors. It comes in a squeeze bottle and is thinner than their gel colors.  I would suggest you dilute your gel colors with vodka because it takes a long time, if ever, for straight gel color to dry.

If I were doing this, I would stick with the SMBC and pipe the ombre colors onto the cake, then blend them with the bench scraper.  Personally, I find that much prettier than painted.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 2 Nov 2019 , 11:39am
post #3 of 5

I think I would make two small cakes and try painting on one and using different coloured buttercream for another. See which you like best.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Nov 2019 , 12:40pm
post #4 of 5

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 Nov 2019 , 1:11am
post #5 of 5

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%