Pumpkin Guts - How To Turn Into Pumpkin Puree?

Baking By blackrosepetals91 Updated 1 Nov 2019 , 5:38pm by -K8memphis

blackrosepetals91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blackrosepetals91 Posted 31 Oct 2019 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 12

Hi all, 

I feel like this may be such an obvious question but extensive google searching hasn't helped.

I've just carved and scooped out 2 pumpkins, and now have 500g of scooped out / shaved pumpkin flesh and wanted to make puree in order to freeze and at a later date, turn into pumpkin pie. However, all recipes I've seen to make puree say to cook "chunks" of pumpkin, or say to cut the pumpkin in half, bake and puree the flesh. 

So I'm not sure how to turn my tub of mangled pumpkin flesh (I've removed all the stringy bits) into puree as I feel it might affect things like cooking time. 

Any help would be much appreciated - I've never cooked with pumpkin before .

Thanks !!

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Oct 2019 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 12

jack_o_lantern you can toast and eat the seeds — then you can cut the flesh of the pumpkin and proceed with following the directions you found to make a purée but the stringy stuff you just discard — the purée is made from the part right under the orange outside rind — not the strings — brp91 amiga — best to you jack_o_lantern

-K8memphis Posted 31 Oct 2019 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 12

ok maybe I misunderstood -- the flesh without the strings is what you bake -- you scraped the flesh off the rind? wow that's the hard way! -- next time just bake the thing once you remove the strings and seeds like they say and after baking discard the orange outer rind and puree what's left --

you're just supposed to scrape off the strings and seeds -- i'm a little confused now -- hope this helped --

you bake the flesh and puree that in the blender or food processor

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 31 Oct 2019 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 12

Unfortunately, pulp from large pumpkins are not good for baking. Not enough flavour. You can add the cooked pulp to enhance your baking if you wish. There are specific small baking pumpkins. Usually called sugar sweet pumpkins, well here in Canada. Those I roast, just like a squash, for pumpkin purée. Use in pies, muffins and cake.

-K8memphis Posted 31 Oct 2019 , 10:48pm
post #5 of 12

jack_o_lantern true plus you can buy plain puréed pumpkin in cans — easy peasy but I know that peeps like to make it...at least once 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 31 Oct 2019 , 11:11pm
post #6 of 12

It really doesn't matter how you cook  your pumpkin.  You can put it in an oven proof pan, cover it and bake until tender, steam it on top of the stove until tender or cook it in the microwave  until tender.  Once done and cooled, puree in the food processor until smooth and drain using a fine sieve or cheese cloth.  Once excess moisture has drained, put into freezer bags or boxes and freeze.

When thawed, it will still have more moisture than canned pumpkin, so you may need to drain again.

SandraSmiley Posted 1 Nov 2019 , 2:36am
post #7 of 12

By the way, the only pumpkin that I've ever frozen is one of the varieties recommended for cooking, not just a regular jack-o-lantern pumpkin.  However, it probably is not as sweet, but probably tastes good anyway.  You could always mix it with canned pumpkin.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 1 Nov 2019 , 2:46am
post #8 of 12

I tried to use Jack O Lantern pumpkin, or carving pumpkin to make a pie. Not sweet enough. Ok for perhaps muffins or making bread. If you roast it with brown sugar, it’s a great tasting vegetable.

blackrosepetals91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blackrosepetals91 Posted 1 Nov 2019 , 7:35am
post #9 of 12

K8memphis  we had bought some jack o light pumpkins from the store and were carving decorations into them, so thats why we scooped all the flesh out with the spoon....is that not how most people do it if they are carving pumpkins? 

But thanks everyone for your answers! I didn't even realise there were different types of pumpkins, and some more suited to baking desserts with than others. You learn something new every day !!

-K8memphis Posted 1 Nov 2019 , 2:24pm
post #10 of 12

idk, brp91– we just scooped out enough so it was smooth inside which was just the stringy stuff and the seeds — there’s no wrong way!

SandraSmiley Posted 1 Nov 2019 , 2:54pm
post #11 of 12

-K8, I think blackrosepetals is making the new kind of jack-o-lantern, the ones with beautifully carved, sculpted faces and patterns, not the  cut out eyes, nose and mouth cut all the way through, like the ones with which we grew up, lol.

-K8memphis Posted 1 Nov 2019 , 5:38pm
post #12 of 12

told yah I was confused smile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%