Need Help Today Please - Acrylic Topper On Buttercream Cake

Decorating By sweetooth94 Updated 31 Oct 2019 , 10:32am by -K8memphis

sweetooth94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth94 Posted 25 Oct 2019 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 19

My bride and groom dropped off a square acrylic topper for their wedding cake.  The topper is perfectly square and smooth plastic (clear with their name/wedding date on the front).  No "pick" on the bottom to press into the cake.  It's from Oriental Trading and is the "Adventure Begins..." topper (if you want to look at what I have).  I am struggling to try and attach it to the cake so it is sturdy and won't fall forward or backward - especially if the cake table gets bumped or when the bride & groom are cutting the cake.  This is a buttercream cake - not fondant.  I tried using candy melts and lollipop sticks to glue to the bottom of the topper but it won't hold.  I've looked on Goggle but I can't find any help.  Do any of you have a suggestion or have placed these types of toppers on cakes before?  PLEASE HELP!!!

18 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Oct 2019 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 19

what I did was advise the client in advance that I would deliver it with the cake but that I would leave it on the table so their coordinator or mom-of-bride, or maid of honor, whoever she wants can be tasked with placing it at the right time because it is unwieldy — 

sweetooth94 Posted 25 Oct 2019 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 19

I'm not delivering it with it already placed on there (I know better!)  You didn't find a way to attach one either?  :-) I may be able to message the bride today and tell her that. I am just not finding a solution to make it sturdy!  (THANK YOU for replying K8memphis!!!)

-K8memphis Posted 25 Oct 2019 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 19

wait

-K8memphis Posted 25 Oct 2019 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 19

I went and looked at it — I was picturing a cube but it’s flat — an idea is to find 4 narrow sticks of some kind that you can plant on the far edges of the front & back that you can wedge it between — and you can decorate the sticks or not depending on the style of the cake —

i’m thinking of like swizzle sticks they use in drinks or something — maybe you can find clear ones — and you could probably insert them so they only go halfway up the sides maybe 

lark6209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lark6209 Posted 25 Oct 2019 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 19

I did a wedding cake based on the bride's parents' wedding cake earlier this year.  When I got to the venue, they had a big heavy metal cross for the top, no picks, designed to hang on the wall, and the brides's family asked me to try to "make it work".  There was no way whatsoever that cross was going to stay up there even if I shoved it the entire 5 inches into the buttercream.  And you know if I had put it on that second tier and it fell (which it would, without a doubt), they would have been upset with the ruined cake.  I explained the issue and the possible consequences, offered a few suggestions to display the cross on the cake table and respectfully refused to put it up there.

Thankfully, they took my advice.  I'm finally learning not to do things I know won't work just because someone insists I should.  Good luck.

sweetooth94 Posted 25 Oct 2019 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 19

OK!  I'm following your train of thought....  I already tried toothpicks at the four corners but that's not working.  Something taller just might work.  I'll see if I can find something clear.  If I can't find something clear & tall or if it doesn't work - I will message the bride that I am leaving it on the cake table by the cake!  Thanks again, Memphis!  

-K8memphis Posted 25 Oct 2019 , 6:57pm
post #8 of 19

clear straws would work — another idea is to slit the side of the straw and insert the topper in the slit and push the tail down into the cake — it’s a definite maybe blush

if anything like this works — you can decorate it if necessary with vines, flowers and leaves — or whatever decor that will match the cake

sweetooth94 Posted 25 Oct 2019 , 7:03pm
post #9 of 19

lark6209 - THANK YOU!  I know this bride will be OK with whatever.  She is super sweet, so I think if I have to message her that I need to leave it on the table instead, she will be fine.  I made extra gumpaste leaves so I can fill in where the topper is supposed to sit and no one but the bride/groom will even know it was supposed to be there.  I've had heavy wedding cake toppers before.  Luckily, I had them in advance and was able to reinforce the topper with a cardboard base, lollipop sticks and "candy melt glue" to make it sturdy before showing up at the venue.  I can imagine you didn't have anything handy to make it work.   This particular designed topper is lightweight but if it topples off the top - it will still do damage to the cake.  Thanks for your reply!

sweetooth94 Posted 25 Oct 2019 , 7:07pm
post #10 of 19

Memphis - a simple "stand" for these types of acrylic toppers would be wonderful!!  Just a base that they sit/lock into with a spike in the bottom.  How simple is that thought?!?!  You would think they would sell something like this since these acrylic toppers are quite popular (although this is the first time I received one to use).  But even if I did find such a great item - the wedding is tomorrow so I would be out of luck :-) 

-K8memphis Posted 25 Oct 2019 , 7:19pm
post #11 of 19

this also begs the rhetorical question why is oriental trading selling these as a “topper” — 

could also be placed on the ledge of the bottom tier, leaning on the side of the top tier — the top tier could be offset to allow more room if necessary —

there’s a lot of different ways to go

sweetooth94 Posted 25 Oct 2019 , 8:09pm
post #12 of 19

I also thought this..... 

Quote by @-K8memphis on 21 minutes ago

this also begs the rhetorical question why is oriental trading selling these as a “topper” — 

could also be placed on the ledge of the bottom tier, leaning on the side of the top tier — the top tier could be offset to allow more room if necessary —

there’s a lot of different ways to go

BettyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BettyA Posted 25 Oct 2019 , 9:32pm
post #13 of 19

Could you use one of those standing picture frame holders that holds pictures either on cake or maybe just on table to the side of cake. Since the ornament is so thin this might work.

sweetooth94 Posted 25 Oct 2019 , 11:08pm
post #14 of 19

Thank you, Betty!  Great thought.  I will look when I run to town in the morning - if I can’t find clear skewers/straws to use.  

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 26 Oct 2019 , 3:43pm
post #15 of 19

I know I am much too late, but I immediately thought of chopsticks, when -k8imemphis suggested the corner supports.  They are long enough and sturdy to hold a considerable weight in place.  Since they are wood, it would be very easy to paint them with white food coloring, gel or petal dust mixed with vodka.

I love your idea, Betty.  It would work and look very elegant. 

BettyA Posted 29 Oct 2019 , 10:11pm
post #16 of 19

Just curious about your cake...Hope it worked out OK.  what idea did you come up with for the cake topper ???? 

sweetooth94 Posted 29 Oct 2019 , 10:43pm
post #17 of 19

Hey, Betty!  Your idea won out!  I live near a small college town with only a Michael’s & Walmart for supplies last minute and neither had clear skewers/straws.  At Michael’s, I found a small CLEAR photo frame stand.  I emailed my bride on Friday to let her know the problem and she was OK with whatever I needed to do.  So I set the topper on the cake table beside the cake.  It worked great!  So thanks for the suggestion!

BettyA Posted 30 Oct 2019 , 4:24am
post #18 of 19

Great !! So glad it worked. I had to do something similar with an ornament for one of my wedding cakes only mine was to heavy for the top and had to set it on cake table beside cake.  Another time I had 2 bears (B&G) figurine ornament, much to heavy for top of cake so I  made a small 6" cake for them & set that near main cake.

-K8memphis Posted 31 Oct 2019 , 10:32am
post #19 of 19

yay betty! yay sweettooth!  and going forward the keepsake can be kept upright which makes it a multi layered win win win win win —

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%