Making White Chocolate Ganache

Decorating By mrsmac888 Updated 25 Oct 2019 , 6:39pm by jchuck

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 25 Oct 2019 , 12:51pm
post #1 of 8

I tried to add this question to my previous "Fondant" thread, but it won't let me...

When making white chocolate ganache to to under fondant is Ghirardelli white choc chips better or white melting chocolate?  Does it matter?  Does one melt and behave better than the other?

Thanks!

7 replies
Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 25 Oct 2019 , 2:02pm
post #2 of 8

I have never made white chocolate ganache.  I have read that the ratio of chocolate to cream for white chocolate is different (more chocolate to cream) than say for a semi-sweet or dark chocolate.

I think with a lot of things trial and error is the best course of action.  When I made my ganache covered cakes I used nestle tollhouse dark chocolate chips.  I wanted it to taste good, but since it was just going to be a thin layer between cake and fondant I didn't fell the need to use super high end chocolate like I would if it were for the filling.

I have read on some forum posts that people prefer middle of the road chocolate for their ganache because they think it performs better.  I know some use candy melts for their ganache while others only swear by high-end chocolate.  So, yeah, I guess it comes down to personal preference.

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 25 Oct 2019 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 8

Freckles0829, Thank you so much for your thorough answers (and on my fondant questions).  I was looking around on youtube and see that quite a few people say that the ganache should be made the day before and allowed to set to peanut butter consistency.  I'm doing this cake today and have only just made the ganache.  Am I too late?  Should I just whip up some buttercream and put that under the fondant?  The cake is a geode cake, and due tomorrow morning.  So, I really have to finish it today.

Thanks!

Freckles0829 Posted 25 Oct 2019 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 8

You could probably put the ganache in the fridge and just keep checking it now and then for consistency purposes.  Shouldn't take too long to set up by chilling it a bit.

Freckles0829 Posted 25 Oct 2019 , 3:13pm
post #5 of 8

Or you could dump the ganache into a shallow large baking pan to give more surface area which will help it cool quicker at room temp.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 25 Oct 2019 , 3:28pm
post #6 of 8

I make white chocolate ganache all the time. I just use white chocolate chips. 3 to  1. Because I like a good firm ganache. In hotter weather, I do 4:1. I don’t use cream, just plain ole milk. Add your flavouring to your milk. Colour too if needed. Heat the milk to very hot, not boiling, pour over the chocolate chips. Let sit for a good minute, then stir well. I use my immersion blender to incorporate. This ensures all the chips are incorporated. Depending on the temperature in your house, can take 20 minutes to an hour or so to set up. You may need to warm slightly in the microwave to spread the ganache. Should be the consistency of peanut butter to spread. Hope this helps.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 25 Oct 2019 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 8

I make primarily white chocolate ganache and frequently use candy melts or dipping chocolate, but have also used white chocolate chips and good quality bar chocolate.  The ones that worked best were candy melts or dipping chocolate and the bar chocolate.  The chips were very hard to melt because they have an added ingredient to help them stay solid in baked goods (like chocolate chip cookies).  The  higher quality white chocolate tastes better, but with the cake, filling, buttercream and sometimes fondant, the ganache is not a major component, taste wise, and I think the inexpensive candy melts and dipping chocolate are just as nice.

As June said, a ratio of at least 3 parts chocolate to 1 part cream is recommended for white chocolate.  When it is hot, I also use a ration of 4 to 1.  Flavoring and color should be added to the cream prior to mixing with the chocolate. The water content in either will cause the chocolate to seize.  When I make ganache, I just let it set on the counter and it takes several hours for it to reach the correct consistency for spreading.  Refrigeration would speed the process and a few seconds in the microwave will bring it back, if it gets too stiff.  

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 25 Oct 2019 , 6:39pm
post #8 of 8

I should have said that the white chocolate chips I use are not the ordinary store bought in little bags. Mine come from a Bulk store. They sell all kinds of items in bulk, including chocolate. I buy high grade white chocolate chips that contain no emulsifiers. There basically a ghirardelli chocolate made into chips. Then I buy the stores brand of chocolate chips and combine the two. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%