Help Me Work Out My Grandmother’S Recipe!

Baking By Aeq100 Updated 18 Oct 2019 , 9:39pm by MBalaska

Aeq100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aeq100 Posted 16 Oct 2019 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone, please help!

my grandmother used to make a ‘fruit cake’ every weekend when I was a kid, but it wasn’t a conventional fruit cake.  She made it in a loaf tin, and I remember she added raisins, currants and sultanas, but she never left a recipe because it was all in her head (she worked in a bakery before she met my grandad).

I’m getting married next year and I would love to have this as my wedding cake, but I can not find anything that resembles it!

the closest I’ve tasted was a fruit cake when on holiday in Scotland, which makes sense as she grew up in Cumbria.  I’ve found recipes for tea loaf but I don’t ever remember her soaking the fruit in tea.

she only added the fruit mentioned above, and once cooked it was a medium/heavy cake, but nowhere near as dense as traditional fruit cake, and it was a medium brown colour on the inside.

hopefully someone can help recommend some ideas!

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Oct 2019 , 3:08am
post #2 of 6

I wish I had some great ideas for you but legends are near to impossible to recreate — I hope it works out for your wedding but treasuring and honoring the wonderful memory is just as vital —

here’s a little story — last weekend, my son, a classically trained chef who’s worked in fine dining across the country made my brownies for an event — made them exactly as written in a published recipe — the brownies he grew up on — and they did not at all turn out like mine —

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 17 Oct 2019 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 6

That is so weird, -K8memphis.  My sister and I have been trying to replicate my aunt's Tea Cakes, plain old soft vanilla cookies, for over 50 years, trying dozens of recipes, and have never come close.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Oct 2019 , 8:46pm
post #5 of 6

although I have some encouraging news too — my pop made Wonderful peanut butter fudge — our nostalgic favorite as kids —  but when I tried I either got pb soup or pb sand —

fast forward fifty years — I discovered the secret ingredient pop had successfully kept a secret till then was cream of tartar — I made perfect pb fudge for the first time in my life! 

but remember this is One ingredient — making fudge is Nothing like copying cake a recipe —  there are 10,000 possible variations between bakers and methods and I mean maybe she plumped up the fruit in some kind of juice, wine, booze — the possibilities are literally endless — 

best to you

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 18 Oct 2019 , 9:39pm
post #6 of 6

https://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/780876/the-fruit-cake-thread

the search function is a wonderful thing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%