Dummy And Drums??

Decorating By Swilko Updated 11 Oct 2019 , 5:35pm by SandraSmiley

Swilko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swilko Posted 10 Oct 2019 , 7:00am
post #1 of 4

Hello cake pals!

I'm making my own 4 tier wedding cake and need some dummy advice please!

I'm doing 2 x 12 inch round real cake; one for the bottom tier and one just extra for serving. The top 3 tiers will be dummys. I've bought 3 inch high dummys (6", 8", 10") but wanted to make them a tiny bit higher so wondered if I could stick half inch drums to the dummys before I ice them? I'm using Renshaws ready made icing but wondered if you'd see the gap between the dummy and drum after it's iced even if I roll it thick enough (0.5 mm enough?) I'm guessing I'd need something sticky just for the edge of the drum or will water still work?

Hope that makes sense, thanks so much for reading! :) 

P.s worst case scenario the top 3 dummys will be shorter than the bottom tier by about 2 inches, will that look totally weird?? 

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Oct 2019 , 12:32pm
post #2 of 4

I often gradually decreased the height of my tiers as they go up — by a half inch to an inch — there’s no wrong way — when you decorate you can minimize the silhouette of your creation if you need to —

as far as adding the extra pieces — and it sounds like they might be smaller than the larger piece of the dummy? just glue them together securely and sand the join to smooth them out —

although i re-read your post and you want to add drums — you can add foam — you can purchase sheets of foam  from a big box hardware store — it’s used for insulation — you can get a hot knife to cut it from a craft store — that would be easiest — or foamcore board from a craft store —

that’s what I would recommend if you are in the states — but why not just get the right size dummy if you are not wanting to go all through that — lots of possibilities —

I’ve never unwrapped a cake drum — what’s inside there? maybe that would work great — idk —

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 10 Oct 2019 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 4

I agree that your cake will not be less effective with the top two tiers being shorter than the bottom tier.  I like using different height tiers for added interest.

Using a sheet of foam insulation is brilliant, much easier to cut than regular styrofoam.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 11 Oct 2019 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 4

bump

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%