Hi-Ratio Shortening

Decorating By WeezyS Updated 19 Oct 2019 , 12:52am by WeezyS

WeezyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeezyS Posted 8 Oct 2019 , 1:05am
post #1 of 10

I am just about out of my Sweetex hi-ratio shortening that I have been using for some time.

I need to purchase more but am a little confused with all the brands now.  It seems that Sweetex has changed since I bought it last.

Has anyone had any luck with these brands?  Any help would be very much appreciated.  I prefer to buy it in bulk, since it seems to be much cheaper.

There is Sweetex Flex and Sweetex Golden Flex.  And then there is Alpine brand emulsified vegetable shortening.  Which is the best hi-ratio and makes the best frosting?

9 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 8 Oct 2019 , 1:43am
post #2 of 10

I have no idea, Weezy.  I refused to buy a 50 pound box of the new Sweetex without having a clue how it would work.  I've been using Crisco, when not making all butter buttercream, but it has changed too and the icing certainly suffers.  I try to use all butter.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 8 Oct 2019 , 11:51am
post #3 of 10

I bought some Sweetex Golden Flex (32oz) from a seller on Etsy for a small cake that was most likely going to sit out in the heat for a bit and wanted to give hi-ratio shortening a whirl since I had heard good things.  I thought that it made a great buttercream (I used a recipe that was half shortening and half butter but could be adjusted to all shortening if needed), it tasted great with no greasy mouth feel and was super smooth and easy to work with.

SandraSmiley Posted 8 Oct 2019 , 12:03pm
post #4 of 10

Good to know, Freckles0829!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 8 Oct 2019 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 10

Quote by @Freckles0829 on 5 hours ago

I bought some Sweetex Golden Flex (32oz) from a seller on Etsy for a small cake that was most likely going to sit out in the heat for a bit and wanted to give hi-ratio shortening a whirl since I had heard good things.  I thought that it made a great buttercream (I used a recipe that was half shortening and half butter but could be adjusted to all shortening if needed), it tasted great with no greasy mouth feel and was super smooth and easy to work with.

That's the best part of why high ratio shortening is so nice to use; for the heat, & gives no greasy mouth feel. 

WeezyS Posted 9 Oct 2019 , 11:52pm
post #6 of 10

I can't seem to find anything less than 50 lb. boxes of Sweetex Golden Flex.  Does anyone know where I can buy it in smaller amounts?

I've read reviews, some are good, some are bad.  I use all shortening to make my icing, because of the fact that is crusts really well,  so just wondering if anyone has tried this , and how it  turned out.

So confused!! 

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Oct 2019 , 5:47pm
post #7 of 10

That's why I didn't buy it, WeezyS.  I hated to spend that much money if it didn't perform to my satisfaction.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 16 Oct 2019 , 12:02pm
post #8 of 10

@WeezyS - I bought 32 ounces through a seller on Etsy.  https://www.etsy.com/listing/619372973/sweetex-golden-flex-high-ratio-vegetable

Quick delivery and she followed up with me with a message wanting to make sure the product was to my satisfaction.

WeezyS Posted 16 Oct 2019 , 8:45pm
post #9 of 10

Thank You so much Freckles.  I just looked it up on Etsy and I think I will give it a try.  It's too bad though that the shipping cost is more than the cost of the product.  But it will still be worth it so I can try it before buying a huge amount. Thanks again.

WeezyS Posted 19 Oct 2019 , 12:52am
post #10 of 10

One more question.  What is the difference between Sweetex icing shortening....and Sweetex shortening for cakes and icing?    Anyone know???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%