Is Dense Cake A Start Over Situation?

Baking By Safandi Updated 21 Sep 2019 , 2:20am by SandraSmiley

Safandi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Safandi Posted 18 Sep 2019 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 4

So I have a recipe I typically follow for red velvet. The website offers the recipe in both cups and grams. I have previously used the cup measurements to make small cakes, however I needed to make a large amount for a wedding so I thought it would be easier to use the grams version. I made two 10" rounds and a 10" square. The cakes seemed denser than usual as I was cutting them open. I had a spare cake that had baked too low and cut it to sample. It was more like a mud cake in texture. Double checked the recipe and it turns out that the gram measurements were incorrect, and the cakes I'd baked were missing flour. The cake does not taste bad, just heavier, and I am reluctant to start over with my baking as I still need to bake a lot more cake and am running out of time. Should I start over from scratch?

3 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 18 Sep 2019 , 3:09pm
post #2 of 4

If it is for an order, I would start over. The first thing they will probably bring to your attention is the taste. I'd personally play it safe and just rebake.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 18 Sep 2019 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 4

I agree with ypierce.  I would start over.  I know it is a bit of a pain but I wouldn't be able to use something I wasn't 100% happy with.  Your current cakes you could use for cake pops/truffles or you could make up a cake for you and your family to enjoy.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 21 Sep 2019 , 2:20am
post #4 of 4

I agree with ypierce82 and Freckles0829.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%