Help With Black & White Fondant Figures

Decorating By DemystifyingPastry Updated 11 Sep 2019 , 1:11pm by SandraSmiley

DemystifyingPastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DemystifyingPastry Posted 9 Sep 2019 , 5:11am
post #1 of 4

So I have a cake on order - the theme is Beetlejuice and Nightmare Before Christmas. LOTS of black and white going on with both of these. And lots of pin stripe to boot. 

I'm tasked to make the sandworm in particular. 

What I need HELP with is tips on adding black fondant to white figures while keeping the white crisp and clean instead of smudged and ultimately gray. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Sep 2019 , 11:22am
post #2 of 4

i like marzipan for black modeling material — i’ve done lovely precise piano keys with it — also you can use a black edible ink marker — just no extreme temperature changes with the marker — don’t put in freezer to table or anything like that —

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Sep 2019 , 11:24am
post #3 of 4

also:

there is some kind of new member delay on being able to "reply" to posts so please start a new thread to continue any discussion -- at some point all of a sudden you will be enabled to "reply" but not for a while -- maybe like 30 days — I think it might have to do with time and activity levels -- please respond by starting a new thread if you need/want to —

best to you

blush

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 11 Sep 2019 , 1:11pm
post #4 of 4

I use modeling chocolate, just because I always have it on hand.  It smudges considerably less than fondant.  It is easy to clean up any smudges with a Q-Tip dampened with vodka.  Just be gentle, but persistent and your cake will come perfectly clean.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%