Swiss Meringue Buttercream In Advance?

Decorating By Courtneyscreations2011 Updated 4 Sep 2019 , 10:05pm by Courtneyscreations2011

Courtneyscreations2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Courtneyscreations2011 Posted 4 Sep 2019 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 5

So I have a large cake order this weekend a three tier wedding cake and 100 cupcakes. The wedding is on Saturday, I was going to start the wedding cake tomorrow and do regular buttercream for the three-tier cake. And for the hundred cupcakes I was going to do Swiss meringue buttercream, but I haven’t really messed with it enough to know how well it works. Would it be OK if I decorated the cupcakes tomorrow and kept them in the refrigerator will it still hold well till Saturday? 

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2019 , 8:03pm
post #2 of 5

I know its this weekend but that is something you need to test and determine in advance with your equipment and recipes — not always but sometimes those dang cupcake wrappers peel away — can you seal them up in order to keep them in the fridge — but idk how they’ll come out two days later — probably ok but idk — usually peeps don’t have room in their fridge for that many cupcakes — the cupcake shops around here bake the ones they sell on the same day — they’re not like a soufflé but freshness counts — I would bake those no sooner than Friday for a Saturday wedding — unless I could bake them Saturday —

i would bake the cake today — get it filled and wrap it securely and freeze till you ice it — that probably would work fine —

but starting a new recipe hopefully will be fine but it can also be nerve wracking — i’d advise that you try it but be ready to count your losses and do American bc — don’t let yourself get stressed out 

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 4 Sep 2019 , 9:01pm
post #3 of 5

I have never made Swiss but I hear that the end result is very similar to Italian Meringue Buttercream (which I do make often), but the cooking process is a bit different (you heat the whites rather than whisk in hot sugar syrup like with Italian).  I do know that with both the temperature before adding the butter is essential.  Too warm and you will have a liquidy mess that you can usually rectify by just letting your stand mixer whip until it comes together (not always though) but I would be weary trying out a new buttercream process for such a large order.

As for stability, my IMBC holds up wonderfully so I don't think that would be an issue.  I personally wouldn't frost the cupcakes until the day before the wedding, but you definitely could bake the cupcakes tomorrow and store them in an airtight container on your counter until you are ready to frost.

I guess for me I would rather just up the amount of ABC I had to make, since you are already making a decent amount, to use on the cupcakes too.  Just seems easier to make a lot of one type of frosting then trying to make two types of frosting and one of those frostings you aren't well versed with yet.

Courtneyscreations2011 Posted 4 Sep 2019 , 10:05pm
post #4 of 5

I’ve made it quite a few times already and used it for a cake and cupcakes outcome is awesome it turns out perfect each time so velvety smooth! I was just worried about making it  A day in advance how well they will hold up I haven’t done that before. 

Courtneyscreations2011 Posted 4 Sep 2019 , 10:05pm
post #5 of 5

I’ve made it quite a few times already and used it for a cake and cupcakes outcome is awesome it turns out perfect each time so velvety smooth! I was just worried about making it  A day in advance how well they will hold up I haven’t done that before. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%