Putting Fondant Over Sticky Frosting

Decorating By lysmph Updated 30 Aug 2019 , 12:53am by -K8memphis

lysmph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lysmph Posted 29 Aug 2019 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 4

Doing a fondant covered cake. I was in a rush and just went for it last night with my cream cheese frosting - it was a little more thin and sticky than normal but was crusting just fine earlier in the day so I figured there'd be no problem getting it to crust in the fridge or harden in the freezer quickly. This was not the case this time. I had it in the freezer overnight and it was still a little sticky and tacky, nowhere near hardened. I've never had an issue with this before. I had planned on moving it from freezer to fridge to counter and then doing the fondant later this evening (the party is tomorrow evening). Will it be ok to put the fondant over it?

Typically I don't worry much about the moisture getting my fondant cakes, mainly due to the dry weather where I live. I've just never had frosting act this way. Any tips would be appreciated. I try to make sure my cakes don't taste a lot like powdered sugar as I'm not a personal fan and neither is my family plus there was no crusting issues once it was made. Do I need to just cover the stickier frosting with another frosting layer with more powdered sugar or will this create another issue? Any other advice/tips? I know a little stick is good for the fondant to attach, this is just so much more than usual.

Thanks for any help and sorry for the long post!

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Aug 2019 , 12:51am
post #2 of 4

idk if it's ok to put fondant on there -- but cream cheese icing needs to be kept in the refrigerator almost all the time -- an accumulative time of 4 hours total can it be out of temperature -- including time to: get it home from the store, let it soften so it can be combined, make the icing, decorate the cake, delivery, presentation time and serving time --

could you scrape it off and make some more? you could add cornstarch to it and reapply if it's within the window of time -- often adding more sugar doesn't work out 

did you put any liquid in it? if so then eliminate it if you make another batch

-K8memphis Posted 30 Aug 2019 , 12:53am
post #3 of 4

this is an alternate way to get the cream cheese tang in the icing wtihout the hassle of refrigeration

https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/61811/white-balsamic-american-buttercream

one other thing:

there is some kind of new member delay on being able to "reply" to posts so please start a new thread to continue any discussion -- at some point all of a sudden you will be enabled to "reply" but not for a while -- maybe like 30 days — I think it might have to do with time and activity levels -- please respond in a new thread if you need/want to —

best to you

-K8memphis Posted 30 Aug 2019 , 12:53am
post #4 of 4

*without

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%